Re: Web Censorship Starts in Land of the Fee ("War on Paedophiles" as Excuse)

____/ Rex Ballard on Saturday 19 July 2008 15:11 : \____

> On Jul 19, 5:12 pm, Linonut <lino...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
>> "Land of the Fee."  Heh heh.
>> --
>> If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it,
>> we would be so simple we couldn't.
>
> What the new law deliberately overlooks is that adult entertainment
> publishers (porn) are very good about registering themselves with a
> service (RSAC?) that "rates" the sites so that the cannot be viewed by
> anyone who has requested that such content be blocked.  In some cases,
> they even segregate their "adult" content from their political and
> editorial material (since many "porn" magazines are also a vehicle for
> liberal editorial content that wouldn't be funded because it's to
> critical of the most popular advertising purchasers.
>
> The weird thing is that I am currently in a COUNTRY that block ALL
> such sites.  Of course, it also blocks tinyurl links as well (because
> they might point to porn), and also religious materials.
>
> One of the big concerns, which still holds, is that people would abuse
> the reporting mechanism and try to have sites classified as "porn" or
> have entire sites classified as "porn" for political, religious, or
> economic reasons.  There have even been cases of people trying to have
> a site blocked for very personal reasons (divorce, noisy neighbors,
> kids telling stories (young teens bragging but overheard by parents).
>
> Generally, child predators don't host their own web sites, and they
> tend to gravitate toward "family" oriented sites.  This is very
> similar to the "real world" practice of getting involved as the youth
> group sponsor at the local church, coaching a sports team, or heading
> a cub/boy scount troop.  The good news is that it's easier to catch on-
> line predators, because once a perpetration is reported, the law
> enforcement can set up a sting very easily and capture the predator
> with a great deal of evidence to assure a conviction.  It's much
> harder to "prove" that the local cubmaster, soccor coach, or parish
> priest is or is not molesting the teenagers.  There is more social
> pressure to keep it quiet, more tendency to dismiss it as a
> fabrication, and less tendency to want to follow-up or attempt to set
> up a "sting".  Furthermore, it's harder to set up a sting because the
> players are all known, and wires or other listening and video devices
> are too easily detected.

I was thinking along the lines not of 'borderline cases', but that which is to
do with writing new laws and bringing in filtering equipment as they currently
do in Australia (under the guide of "war on terror|kiddie pr0n", of course. It
was shown earlier that the government there had  suppressed free speech on
political issue.

Wait and watch. All that stuff is an open door for further expansion later.
There are already some 'studies' about rise in 'unhealthy' content. Sadly,
this neglects to account for the /fake/ marketing blogs Microsoft sets up
through the agencies it hires.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    X-No-Archive: No. Stand behind what you say
Tasks: 166 total,   2 running, 164 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie