[News] [Rival] More BSA-IDC-Microsoft Circus for New Laws Through Brainwash

BSA: Software piracy's 'tragic' impact on US society

,----[ Quote ]
| The BSA-sponsored IDC study, available here (pdf), pinpointed eight US states
| in the report. It found significant variations from the national piracy
| figure of 20 per cent.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/07/18/bsa_us_states_piracy/

It's not "piracy" and it's clear who is paying for that pro-RAND, anti-FOSS BS
(see below for recent BSA-IDC-Microsoft circuses all across the EU). Also new:

European Commission sounds new patent offensive

,----[ Quote ]
| Following the April 2007 initiative on "Enhancing the patent system", the
| European Commission has now published a communication on a European
| industrial property rights strategy (PDF). It hopes this will improve access
| to the patent system and to trademark protection for small and medium-sized
| enterprises (SMEs). The Commission has also announced that it intends to work
| harder on ensuring the quality of patents granted and the promotion of
| innovation associated with it.
|
| European Commission sounds new patent offensive
|
| Following the April 2007 initiative on "Enhancing the patent system", the
| European Commission has now published a communication on a European
| industrial property rights strategy (PDF). It hopes this will improve access
| to the patent system and to trademark protection for small and medium-sized
| enterprises (SMEs). The Commission has also announced that it intends to work
| harder on ensuring the quality of patents granted and the promotion of
| innovation associated with it.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/112985/from/rss09

Recent:

Microsoft urges resellers to play it straight, beef up revs

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has claimed that each dollar it “loses” to software piracy equals
| $5.50 in “lost opportunities” to the firm’s channel partners.
|
| A Microsoft-sponsored white paper (pdf) released by IT analyst house IDC
| yesterday highlights the effects of copyright infringement on the software
| ecosystem across the tech industry.
|
| [...]
|
| The BSA has claimed that the value of just PC software that was counterfeited
| in 2007 was close to $50bn worldwide.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/07/10/microsoft_idc_piracy_claims/

BSA plays the IP card against the European Commission

,----[ Quote ]
| Leave it to the Business Software Alliance (BSA) to distort the definition
| of "open standard" in order to serve the interests of Microsoft and its other
| members. The BSA doesn't like the European Commission's increasing interest
| in open source and open standards to deliver software interoperability.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9984162-16.html

Has Anyone Received the BSA's $1M Software Piracy Reward?

,----[ Quoye ]
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147448/has_anyone_received_the_bsas_1m_software_piracy_reward.html
http://tinyurl.com/5m7fp2