[News] Open Source WebkKit/GTK Browser for Linux Phones

Open source webkit-based browser rev'd

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux versions are offered in a minimalist sample SDL release, a full GTK
| implementation (based on WebKit community work), and a sample implementation
| from Pleyo targeting the ALP mobile phone stack from Access.

Also new:

Experimental GTK+ theme engine will add CSS support

,----[ Quote ]
| At the recent GUADEC event in Istanbul, the GTK+ community discussed ways to
| improve the toolkit's theming system. A particularly exciting project listed
| among the items on the roadmap is a plan for creating an experimental GTK+
| theme engine that will enable developers to customize the appearance of their
| themes with cascading style sheets (CSS).
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/07/17/experimental-gtk-theme-engine-will-add-css-support

Recent:

WebKit rising

,----[ Quote ]
| Once upon a time, there were no usable free web browsers for the Linux
| environment; the binary-only Netscape releases were all that was available to
| us. For many, the solution to the problem was to be found in the release of
| the Netscape source code; some years later, we got the Mozilla and Firefox
| browsers (based on the Gecko rendering engine) from this work. The KDE
| project, though, took a different route in the late 1990's, developing the
| KHTML renderer to use with the Konqueror application.
|
| [...]
|
| But it's worth remembering that WebKit, too, is a project developed by a
| company with its own objectives, few of which make any mention of turning
| 2009 into the real year of the Linux desktop. For now, though, WebKit has the
| look of a project with all the right attributes: real independence,
| merit-based access to the source repository, no requirement for copyright
| assignments, reasonable licensing, and the right goals. It may well be
| positioned to become a core component in the Linux desktop.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/276047/

Related:

Browser Wars - Reloaded

,----[ Quote ]
| The dispute over WebKit and KHTML reached a new peak today. With Harri Porten
| yesterday a KHTML supporter already pubslished his position on the subject
| and today Zack Rusin, a WebKit supporter, answered.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/10/24/browser-wars-reloaded/

Webkit vs. Mozilla: Should Firefox jump on the Webkit bandwagon?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4144