[News] Attack on Software Patents Broadens

Patent Absurdity Becomes...More Patent

,----[ Quote ]
| What's particularly heartening is that those words appeared in the Wall
| Street Journal, hardly a bunch of sandal-wearing hippies. And the number of
| respected voices joining in is starting to increase. Here's what Professor
| Joseph Stiglitz, a 2001 Nobel Laureate in Economics, had to say on the
| subject:
|
| 'Patent monopolies are believed to drive innovation but they actually impede
| the pace of science and innovation, Stiglitz said. The current “patent
| thicket,” in which anyone who writes a successful software programme is sued
| for alleged patent infringement, highlights the current IP system’s failure
| to encourage innovation, he said.'
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1032

Red Hat scores empty patent pledge

,----[ Quote ]
| If Sun Microsystems has got its way, though, Red Hat could have become just
| another victim of patent poker in the US and left customers, partners and
| itself open to future claims.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/17/red_hat_firestar_settlement/

Mono

,----[ Quote ]
| The thing I like most about Mono is how easy I can delete it and anything
| associated with it from my system. Every time I do an install, it is the very
| FIRST thing that I remove even before doing package updates.
| I cannot justify having anything remotely connected to Microsoft on my
| machine no matter what Mr. DeCaza says.
| Want to sleep with the enemy, fine but don't complain when you get thrown on
| the rubbish heap when you are of no further use to MS.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-07-17-017-35-IN-GN-DV-0004

Friends don't let friends come to depend on .NET (on GNU/Linux). Remember that
it's about who holds the patents, not just the software patents themselves.

Recent:

Astronomy Domine

,----[ Quote ]

`----