[News] Success of Linux Tied to GNU and the GPL

Is Linux the disruptive technology, or is it the GNU General Public License
which really shook up the open source world?

,----[ Quote ]
| Stallman's greatest contribution, however, was the GNU General Public License
| (or GPL), which he devised to fulfill the objectives of free software. The
| GPL has become the most prolific open source/free software license, and is
| perhaps the greatest reason for the growth of Linux beyond its humble
| origins.
|
| The GPL, and the clause that demands that any change to the code be returned
| to the community, may be the disruptive technology, and Linux may be
| described as the primary beneficiary.
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/604662/linux-a-disruptive-technology

Recent:

The GPL is a capitalist's best friend

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPL simply protects through transparency and openness, not opacity and
| closed doors. Many of the industry's most successful open-source vendors use
| the GPL for this very reason.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9896565-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

MS: Dancing as fast as it can to try to get away from GPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
| Want to laugh? Microsoft Says It Is Not Bound by GPLv3" -- they think they
| can so declare, like an emperor, and it becomes fiat. It's not so easy.
| I gather Microsoft's lawyers have begun to discern the GPL pickle they
| are in.

GPL3 welcomed by IBM, Red Hat, Novell, MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.builderau.com.au/news/soa/GPL3-welcomed-by-IBM-Red-Hat-Novell-MySQL/0,339028227,339279403,00.htm