[News] Acer's GNU/Linux Laptops Continue to Earn Great Reviews

Acer Aspire One: the new sub-laptop to beat?

,----[ Quote ]
| Mind you, the 120GB HDD-equipped One is only down as £30 more and comes with
| 1GB of memory rather than 512MB, though that's plenty for Linux and do you
| really want a hard drive in a machine that's going to be chucked around a
| lot? Well, at least you have the choice.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/16/eb_acer_aspire_one/

Le défi posé par les Netbooks et Nokia à Microsoft
Par Bernard Golden, Navica Software (en anglais)

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally, I noted that netbooks pose an unprecedented challenge to Microsoft.
| It has benefited by being the dominant desktop/notebook operating system,
| with Linux being perceived as functionally deficient by comparison. However,
| those deficiencies are not present in the netbook category, negating
| Microsoft's advantage. In fact, for netbooks, Microsoft is the functionally
| deficient product, not Linux. Windows's bloated size and significant
| licensing fee render it unsuitable for netbooks, which emphasize software
| compactness and low cost.
`----

http://www.itrmanager.com/tribune/206/defi-pose-netbooks-nokia-microsoft-br-bernard-golden-navica-software-anglais.html

Recent:

CyberLink Sees Opportunities in Netbooks, Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Multimedia software maker CyberLink sees a lot of opportunities in the
| fast-growing netbook segment of the computer market, from online access
| to files stored on home PCs to multimedia software made for Linux OSs.
|
| Some of the most popular netbooks, or mini-laptops, being launched come with
| options for far less storage space than mainstream laptops, such as Asustek's
| Eee PC 1000, Eee PC 901and Acer's Aspire one.
|
| Many of them also run on a Linux OS, such as Linpus Linux Lite on the Aspire
| one and Linux OS by Xandros on the Eee PC. These netbooks can also come with
| Windows XP instead.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/148475/cyberlink_sees_opportunities_in_netbooks_linux.html

Test Bench: Flash-based laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| The Acer owes its speedy start in part to its Linux-based operating system,
| which is far more nimble than Windows. Of course, you won’t have access to
| Windows-compatible software, but the custom-built Linux interface is friendly
| and you get a full set of office, media and internet applications on its 8GB
| solid-state drive.
|
| [MacBook Air just 4/5.]
|
| ASUS EEEPC 901 £319
|
| START-UP TIME: 27SEC
| The Asus EeePC was the first, revolutionary solid-state, bargain basement
| laptop. This latest version is the most refined yet. Our review unit ran
| Windows XP and comes with Microsoft Works and StarOffice preinstalled.
| However, the version running Linux offers faster start-up speeds and speedier
| performance - the Intel Atom processor and 1GB of Ram frankly struggles with
| XP, although the 20GB of memory is generous.
`----

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/test_bench/article4315331.ece

Acer punts £199... er... £220... er... Linux laptop

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/02/acer_ups_linux_laptop_price

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=9579