Re: [News] Charlie Mccreevy Turns EU into Intellectual Monopolies Ghetto

  • Subject: Re: [News] Charlie Mccreevy Turns EU into Intellectual Monopolies Ghetto
  • From: Andrew Halliwell <spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:58:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ben <beno1990@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The life of the author + 70 years is a long enough copyright term IMHO.

Long *enough*?
It's waaaaay too long.
Why should great, great grand children STILL profit from the sale of books
published over 150 years ago?

It's Obscene! That's what it is.

> It allows a person or group of people to benefit from what they've
> created, and I dare say it allows their children and even grandchildren
> to benefit too,

Try great great... when you consider people can have great grand children at
the age of 80, they might not die until their late 90s or even 100s, and
then it's another 70 years AFTER that...
it's quite possible for quite a few greats to be in that line.

with the clause that the copyright lasts for 70 years
> after the author's death. Adding extra to that is... A bit silly,
> really, and I don't think I know anyone who thinks artists, programmers,
> authors, etc. could benefit from this. And I know a few of each of the
> above.

The only "people" who REALLY benefit from this are the money grubbing,
greedy media corporations who can buy up copyrighted works and exploit them
long after the original author has rotted to dust.

--
|   spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   |                                                 |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc   | "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |