[News] Push in India for Free Software Education, FSF News

An open letter to my HoD

,----[ Quote ]
| The MES College of Engineering is a role model to other engineering colleges
in regards to choosing Free Software for students in their academic endeavors.
Students have produced many socially relevant Free Software projects with the
support of college. It includes the Hurd Installer project and 3 out of 60
indian students getting selected to the world wide program known as GSOC
during last one year. Also this is a college with its campus(internet)network
available only through Free Software OSes. As we all know, Education is
fruitful only if the students have the right to learn.In a proprietary
software environment, students have no rights to learn how the software works,
and even forbids him from studying saying “the Knowledge you want is
secret-Learning is forbidden”.
`----

http://swatantran.blogspot.com/2008/07/open-letter-to-my-hod.html

[FSF] Free Software Supporter -- Issue 6, July 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| In this issue
|
| * It's not the Gates, it's the bars
| * Act on ACTA!
| * Fight the Canadian DMCA!
| * Rhapsody and Naxos go DRM free
| * Refusing Digital Monitoring Policies
| * 5 reasons to avoid iPhone 3G
| * autonomo.us activist group to focus on freedom in network services
| * identi.ca is autonomo.us
| * GNU spotlight with Karl Berry
| * Richard Stallman's speaking schedule
| * Take action!
`----

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-fsf/2008-07/msg00001.html

Recent:

FSF India sends letter to Education Minister of Kerela

,----[ Quote ]
| Subject: Forcing schools to use proprietary software illegally
|
| During the last few decades, Kerala has been following a unique development
| path that has been considered a model for the rest of the country and even
| other underdeveloped countries. Kerala, again showed a model to the world
| with its vision to build an inclusive Knowledge society. Its IT Policy
| clearly states that the "Government realizes that Free Software presents a
| truly unique opportunity in building a truly egalitarian knowledge society.
| The Government will take all efforts to develop Free Software and Free
| Knowledge and shall encourage and mandate the appropriate use of Free
| Software in all ICT initiatives." (section 2.10, IT Policy document, Kerala
| Govt.)
|
| We congratulate the government for its efforts to support Free Software and
| free knowledge initiatives. Schools, KSEB, Kerala State Khadi Board etc.
| successfully completed their migration to Free Software. Public sector
| initiatives like Keltron are doing mega projects completely in Free Software.
| With these examples, the state showed that "Free Software" is a feasible
| technological alternative to any proprietary technology.
`----

http://www.gnu.org.in/fsf-india-sends-letter-to-education-minister-of

Related:

The Story of Free Software in Kerala, India

,----[ Quote ]
| We saw how Free Software has come to stay in Kerala. The natural question
| this raises is, “Why Kerala?” There is no other state in the country where
| Free Software has made an impact that is anywhere near that in Kerala.
`----

http://swatantryam.blogspot.com/2007/08/story-of-free-software-in-kerala-india.html

Kerala On Linux Express Highway

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux slip-road that the state took is slowly becoming an
| express highway.
|
| [...]
|
| If we twist Napoleon's quote on China a bit, we can safely say, "Linux is a
| sleeping giant, let it sleep, because when Linux moves the world moves!"
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/fullnews.asp?edid=16139&magid=11

“Linux is more stable, it is crash resistant, and its compatibility and
interoperability is as high as Microsoft”

,----[ Quote ]
| Here is what Wassan has to say on the strategic equilibrium that he is
| working on for government and enterprises. He feels it is vital for
| opening up an opportunity for Linux to compete and develop a stronghold
| on the market
|
| [...]
|
| Majority of the schools in Kerala, for instance, have already switched over
| to Linux and this has been possible only with the help of government support.
| Moreover, 18 of 28 Indian states use Linux or have pilot projects for to be
| used in government depart­ments and education sector.
|
| [...]
|
| We have developed a partner­ship with eSys India who already has its own base
| of large number of channel partners. Our products and software are supplied
| to the end-customers through the retail partners of eSys. We are in a
| dialogue to develop alliances with more and more distributors so that our
| reach to the customers is increased.
`----

http://dqchannels.ciol.com/content/ceospeak/107070601.asp

Students develop supercomputer

,----[ Quote ]
| Team leader C. Mahesh said that Dakshina, with Linux operating system, is a
| platform to deliver excellent performance for users who seek high computer
| power and resource in a multitasking environment. Dakshina utilises message
| passing interface for a fault tolerant communication between the
| computational nodes. It also utilises parallelism technologies like
| multicore, multithreading and cluster of workstations.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2007/11/06/stories/2007110650920200.htm

FOSS India Awards: Name It To Claim It

,----[ Quote ]
| According to openITis.com, "By creating a platform for Indian developers to
| showcase their contributions, we hope to wipe away the rampant misconception
| that Indians do not contribute to the FOSS ecosystem..."
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/22513/news.htm

Students develop new GNU installer

,----[ Quote ]