Re: [News] [Rival] US Federal Aviation Administration Bans Windows Vista

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:52:42 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> No Windows Vista For Would-Be Air Traffic Controllers
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The Federal Aviation Administration plans to bar contractors who
> administer | the air traffic controllers exam from using Windows
> Vista-based PCs. `----
>
> http://callcenterinfo.tmcnet.com/news/2008/07/11/3541592.htm
>
> They have already considered moving to GNU/Linux. No update on this for
> a while...
>

> Recent:
>
> Laminar Research Releases X-Plane 9
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | While not exactly a game, Laminar Research has announced the release
> of | X-Plane 9.0. X-Plane is a multi-platform (Linux, Mac OS X, and
> Windows) | flight simulator, but unlike FlightGear and other open-source
> simulators, | this is meant to be a life-like training exercise. X-Plane
> is so realistic | that it has been certified by the FAA (Federal
> Aviation Administration) here | in the United States for use as a
> training utility. X-Plane 9 has been in | beta for some time, but
> X-Plane 9.00 has now officially been released. `----
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjQ0NA
>

> Related:
>
> FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux
> Combo
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main |
> hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could | deliver
> Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google | Apps through a
> non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based | computers pass their
> shelf life.
> `----
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?
articleID=197800480

> Can Google and Linux Topple Microsoft?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The story had a certain flair. In early March, the chief information |
> officer of the Federal Aviation Administration, David Bowen, was |
> reportedly considering forsaking Microsoft Windows and Office in | favor
> of the Linux operating system and the Web-based Google Apps | Premium
> office suite.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/57534.html -----BEGIN PGP
> SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iEYEARECAAYFAkh88foACgkQU4xAY3RXLo6d3QCbBT/GN/7kCIiDsY5N01FEioUN
> IeUAn3sGD6JIuQz1t6CsluTXA/mQK6X5
> =daUb
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Cool.  I just wish they'd hire a few air-traffic controllers first ...

http://www.nydailynews.com/
ny_local/2008/07/07/2008-07-07_nearmiss_reported_at_jfk_airport.html

http://www.wnbc.com/news/16858119/detail.html

The FAA has a piss-poor record when it comes to trivial things like labor
relations, safety, etc.  I'm no MSFT fanboi, but I don't think MS can be
blamed for the problems of that agency.  Flying is more dangerous then
computing these days.

--
This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department