Re: [News] Salesforce Dumps Solaris for GNU/Linux

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 07:00:31 -0400, Linonut wrote:

>> Salesforce.com pulls plug on Sun's flagship Unix servers
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The big rival to Sun's massively engineered and supported UltraSPARC
>>boxes | running Solaris are the lower-priced Dell boxes running Linux. |
>>| Benioff did not say what Dell servers or operating system
>>Salesforce.com will | run, citing competitive reasons. It's likely,
>>though, Salesforce.com is | running Linux.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/14/salesforce_sun_server_dell/
>
> I hope those goddam DELLs work for 'em.
>
> One the group of fancy-ass laptops we got only about two years ago
> already went belly-up.  Mobo fubar.
>
> And the replacement motherboard also went bad once it warmed up.
>
> That, and Windows, will make ya reach for the Dammitol.

Poor quality has its advantages.  Saved my life, once ...

I returned from vacation on Sept. 10, 2001 at my usual 7AM start time.
About 10:30, loud clicking began to emanate from the general area of the
HDD on my Dell workstation.  Rebooted, got ominous warnings about the
state of the HDD, called desktop support.  They returned the call at 5
PM, as I was leaving, and said they'd be re-imaging the PC starting at 8
AM the following morning.  I switched the early shift with one of my
colleagues (Dipti Patel, may she rest in peace) and arrived at the Fulton
St. subway station at about 8:50 AM on Sept. 11.  My office was on the
103rd floor of 1 WTC (North tower).

Thank you, Dell, WD, whoever was responsible for the HDD failure.

--
This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department