Re: [News] [Rival] Attacks on Windows to Increase

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 14 Jul 2008 21:25:40 +0000
<6659269.mW7fEzW86s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Symantec: Microsoft Access ActiveX Attacks Will Intensify
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | An easy-to-use toolkit used to hack computers has now been updated to take
> | advantage of an unpatched security vulnerability in Microsoft's software,
> | which could mean attacks will intensify, according to vendor Symantec.
> `----
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/148355/symantec_microsoft_access_activex_attacks_will_intensify.html
> http://tinyurl.com/6m48zo

And the reason why websites are still using ActiveX is ... ?

Ye gods, my head.

There are only *two* obvious reasons to use ActiveX, and
that's because there's no really elegant way otherwise to
run Java applets.  Therefore, the Java runtime instaills
itself as an ActiveX control, weird-ass crappy classid
and all.

The other one involves Flash and is much the same.

> New Trojan in the wild targeting MP3, WMA and WMV files
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Researchers at Secure Computing say they've found a new Trojan in the wild
> | that infects multimedia files including MP3s. It is thought to be seeded
> | by 'warez' sites and then spread via peer-to-peer networks.
> `----
>
> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19434/1054/
>
> Use Ogg.

And Theora.

[rest snipped]

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Conventional memory has to be one of the most UNconventional
architectures I've seen in a computer system.