[News] Comparing New Zealand Free Software Attitude to the US

Open source and hiring: Is NZ behind the times?

,----[ Quote ]
| While being involved in hiring decisions in the Silicon Valley through my
| work with US clients, I can definitely confirm this. Knowing your way around
| open source, being familiar with open source tool chains and the like are all
| valuable skills to have. More and more businesses are built on top of open
| source technologies, so therefore many employers demand these skills and
| employees want to further these skills.
`----

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/5382

United States Leads in Linux Use

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, the United States remains number one in total Linux enterprise
| server implementations. This is an important factor when evaluating future
| Linux development, progress, and growth. No matter how you wish to view it,
| the US will remain a key driving force behind Linux advancement.
`----

http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/linuxinusa.shtml

Recent:

Standards NZ asks Microsoft staffer to 'rectify' statements

| Standards New Zealand has asked a Microsoft employee to rectify statements
| made in an email to the Trinidad & Tobago Computing Society about New Zealand
| OOXML advisor Matthew Holloway.
|
| The emails were sent as standards organisations around the world engage in
| sometimes heated debate over whether Microsoft's Office Open XML (OOXML) file
| format should be accepted as a standard alongside the Open Document Format.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/0B47485921D44083CC2574110068B1B6

InternetNZ supports Vint Cerf’s rejection of OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| InternetNZ (the Internet Society of New Zealand Inc) strongly supports calls
| from Internet pioneer Vint Cerf opposing Microsoft’s proposed OOXML (Office
| Open XML) document standard.
|
| [...]
|
| Vint Cerf, widely regarded as the “father of the Internet”, was recently
| quoted, “If OOXML is adopted, it leads to a problem of duplicate formats for
| document exchange. That duplication is bad for interoperability. In the
| Internet world standards-makers work hard on agreeing one way to do things,
| and then evolving it - We don’t reinvent the wheel”.
|
| InternetNZ fully supports Cerf’s assertion, and is also concerned about the
| technical quality of Microsoft’s OOXML standard.
`----

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/SC0803/S00037.htm

Linux steps up to power NZ Stock Exchange

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/F586239BCCA7593FCC2573F00001488E