[News] GNU/Linux is Lacking... Kill Switches

Another reason to love FOSS - Software Kill Switches

,----[ Quote ]
| One thing I hate above almost anything else is when a vendor tells you what
| you can and can't do with your software.  That drives me bonkers.  Sure, they
| wrote it and it's theirs to do with as they wish, but once they sell/give it
| to me, it's mine to do with as I see fit - within the confines of the
| software itself.  Unceremoniously switching me off or making me pay more,
| forcing me to upgrade, stopping me from using the software, or making me bow
| to other ludicrous demands is just blatant power mongering and extortion.  If
| they want me to do something, they had better have a really good reason why I
| should do it, and it had better not be "just because we want more money."
|
| So what brought on this little bout of ranting and bitterness?  Well, several
| things really, but the biggest is the ever infamous software kill switch.
| It's been around for years, but really didn't start coming into its own until
| Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) came onto the scene.  Since then, proprietary
| vendors have looked at Microsoft's success with the Software Kill Switch and
| realized the money making potential of it.  They also have seen the power it
| can give them and it's become an intoxicating drug to them.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=438

Another perspective:

What is so good about Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Whenever I have conversations with people about windows and Linux they always
| ask me what is so good about Linux. They see something that looks pretty (OK,
| OK, so I like my bling :) and gives them a wow factor but it is not enough. I
| can talk about Linux's superior multitasking and hardware support or security
| against virus's and spyware and I get the gazed donut look in pretty short
| order. I can tell them about its licensing or price (what price?) and rant on
| about the benefits of free software Stallman style but then I get the quality
| and support arguments.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/what-is-so-good-about-linux-25921

Recent:

How Microsoft plans to teach us some manners

,----[ Quote ]
| Professor Chris Johnson, from the computing science department of Glasgow
| University, said: "There are lots of devices that don't run Microsoft
| software these days, and just like that, a lot of devices wouldn't use
| digital manners.
|
| "Unless Microsoft makes it in the interest of people to buy a device with
| this technology, nobody's going to bother buying things that use it. I can't
| see a huge marketplace for digital manners at the moment."
`----

http://www.sundayherald.com/latestnews/hubnews/display.var.2369434.0.0.php

Microsoft Introducing DRM Tool for 360

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has released a Content License Transfer Tool or DRM Tool for the
| Xbox 360.
`----

http://news.filefront.com/microsoft-introducing-drm-tool-for-360/

I've Seen the Future, and It Has a Kill Switch

,----[ Quote ]
| It used to be that just the entertainment industries wanted to control your
| computers -- and televisions and iPods and everything else -- to ensure that
| you didn't violate any copyright rules. But now everyone else wants to get
| their hooks into your gear.
|
| [...]
|
| And that's the key to understanding this system. Don't be fooled by the scare
| stories of wireless devices on airplanes and in hospitals, or visions of a
| world where no one is yammering loudly on their cellphones in posh
| restaurants. This is really about media companies wanting to exert their
| control further over your electronics. They not only want to prevent you from
| surreptitiously recording movies and concerts, they want your new television
| to enforce good "manners" on your computer, and not allow it to record any
| programs. They want your iPod to politely refuse to copy music to a computer
| other than your own. They want to enforce their legislated definition of
| manners: to control what you do and when you do it, and to charge you
| repeatedly for the privilege whenever possible.
|
| "Digital Manners Policies" is a marketing term. Let's call this what it
| really is: Selective Device Jamming. It's not polite, it's dangerous. It
| won't make anyone more secure -- or more polite.
`----

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2008/06/securitymatters_0626

Microsoft could force your mobile into silence

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is developing a new technology that could force mobiles into silent
| mode, or even prevent calls from being made.
|
| [...]
|
| Phone jammers, which work in small spaces, are banned in the UK and come with
| a hefty fine for use.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/microsoft-could-force-your-mobile-into-silence-393006

Related: