[News] Another Push for GNU/Linux Australian Schools

Linux in schools: a teacher speaks

,----[ Quote ]
| Catching them young is a popular slogan and one that yields dividends too, no
| matter whether one applies it to the adoption of software or the learning of
| a language. And with a small window seemingly open for Australia's FOSS
| community to push for the use of free and open source software in schools,
| the question arises - how does one go about making the first inroads?
|
| [...]
|
| A group of advocates is pushing for the adoption of FOSS in schools and
| recently sent a letter to the deputy prime minister, trying press their case.
| For people like them, Nic Baxter has some simple advice: petitions sent to
| government ministers will not help to bear fruit. "It has to be bottom up.
| Start at the schools with local evangelists helping make teachers lives
| easier."
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19407/1148/

Recent:

School switches to Linux, hopes to keep MS funds

,----[ Quote ]
| Complete switch to Linux has been approved by the Ministry of Education
|
| Warrington School, in Otago, has decided to jump ship and deploy the
| GNU/Linux operating system with free software across the board by a target
| date of 2010, says the school’s principal, Nathan Parker.
|
| The complete switch to Linux has been approved by the Ministry of Education,
| and Parker is now hoping that a portion of the money that would normally be
| paid to Microsoft for software licences will continue to be paid to the
| school. Parker says he would use the money to employ a local technician and
| further develop the Linux environment.
|
| “Otherwise we are being disadvantaged,” he says.
|
| [...]
|
| Parker would definitely recommend using Linux to other schools. “There is a
| third way,” he says. “There is Apple, Microsoft and there is GNU/Linux.”
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/A000A8F459252EDECC25747F00172D28

Community to Gilliard: 'Consider Open Source'

,----[ Quote ]
| The Australian Open Source community has called for the consideration of Free
| and Open Source Software (FOSS) in the implementation of the Rudd
| Government’s Digital Education Revolution Policy.
|
| In an open letter that was submitted last week to the Deputy Prime Minister
| Julia Gilliard, members of the community expressed its support of the
| Government’s investment in Australian ICT capabilities, education and
| training.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/79966,community-to-gilliard-consider-open-source.aspx

Bid to push FOSS in Australian secondary schools

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19209/1148/