Re: [News] Business Plan for Unbundling of Windows, Promotion of GNU/Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] Business Plan for Unbundling of Windows, Promotion of GNU/Linux
  • From: Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:06:13 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> | If the user wants to buy Windows for the notebook, they just pay
> the extra $ | for the envelope too and when they first bootup the
> machine they enter the | affix the sticker as per the EULA.

Affixing the sticker is a requirement of the Windows EULA???

Hmm, lets have a look at Vista:

[quote]
8. SCOPE OF LICENSE. The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement
only gives you /some/ "rights" to use the software. Microsoft reserves
all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite
Microsoft not wanting you to have any rights at all. You may use the
software, then again you may be unable to because we've deactivated it
for no particular reason. You may not

. work around the many technical limitations in the software;
. have control of the computer /you/ purchased;
. have a working system, ever, at any point. Period;
. have an uptime of more than 3 minutes and 22 seconds;

[ad nauseam]

[can't use without activation]
[can't benchmark]
[can't reverse engineer]
[can't circumvent]
[can't distribute]

[Ah, here we go...]

14. PROOF OF LICENSE.
a. Genuine Proof of License. If you acquired the software on a disc or
other media, a genuine Microsoft proof of license label with a genuine
copy of the software identifies licensed software. To be valid, this
label must appear on Microsoft packaging. If you receive the label
separately, it is invalid. You should keep the packaging that has the
label on it to prove that you are licensed to use the software.

[Hmm, maybe not. Let's try again...]

[can't export to Cuba]
[can't sue for damages]
[can't exceed 5 incoming connections for services (10 for Premium)]
[can't use virtualisation]

[End]
[/quote]

I must have missed it.

Let's try XP instead:

[quote]
IMPORTANT—READ CAREFULLY: Your life may depend on it. This End-User
License Agreement (“EULA”) is a legal but highly immoral attempt to own
your ass. YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY STRONG ROPE TO A VINYL CHAIR AND
TORTURED FOR SEVERAL HOURS IF YOU DO NOT ABIDE BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE.

[Etc.]

[single copy]
[10 concurrent connections]
[mandatory activation]
[can't reverse engineer]

. Consent to Use of Data. You agree that Microsoft and its affiliates
  may collect and use technical information gathered in any manner as
  part of the product support services provided to you, if any, related
  to the Product. Microsoft may use this information solely to improve
  our products or to provide customized services or technologies to you.
  Microsoft may disclose this information to others, so you will be
  spammed for life by Russian Pharma gangsters...

[Etc.]

[restrictions on playing games]
[restrictions on accessing the Internet]
[No export to Cuba and other "Commie" bastards]
[Si vous avez acquis votre produit Microsoft au CANADA]
[/quote]

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx

Nope, nothing about being forced to stick an "authenticity" label on
/your/ hardware.

Just as well really, considering the huge number of /other/ nefarious
restrictions.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Stallman has frequently pointed out, Free Software is by no means
| antithetical to making money: it's just a question of how you make
| money." ~ Glyn Moody: http://tinyurl.com/4wn2l2 (ComputerworldUK)

 21:05:57 up 203 days, 17:41,  4 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.12, 0.09