[News] [Rival] Microsoft Tries Dumping to Stifle School Migrations to GNU/Linux

Microsoft invests ZAR 750 mln in software for South African schools

http://www.telecom.paper.nl/news/article.aspx?id=222155&nr=

Microsoft to give software to 26 000 schools

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft will supply productivity and server software worth about
| R750-million to public schools.
|
| The software is expected to reach 26 000 government schools across South
| Africa, bringing modern information and communication technology to more than
| 11 million pupils.
`----

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=105&art_id=vn20080710060321151C258628

What a surprise! In a country that moves to Linux. Regulators should step in to
see what Microsoft is doing yet again.

The only 'charity' Microsoft understands is crime. It's a competition crime.

Recent:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Related:

Yoohoo! EU Commission! Are you watching?

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's some repulsive news from Microsoft, in an article on Yahoo!
| News titled, "Microsoft pledges cash for IT in developing world" but
| which I would more accurately, I think, call, "Microsoft Finds New Way
| To Be Anticompetitive":
|
| [...]
|
| "Microsoft is still working through some of the 'technical
| limitations' that remain in putting XP on the XO, the green PC from
| the One Laptop Per Child project, Ayala [MS spokesman] said."
|
| So, to compete with Microsoft, Linux needs to be able to spend 235
| million to buy a market? There are also some interesting details on
| deals being made in Russia, Mexico and Libya:
|
| [...]
|
| Of course, they can't put that honking Vista on these laptops. So,
| it's XP forever, I guess, for the third world. Indeed the article says
| XP will be the supported platform on low-cost PCs such as the
| Classmate and Asus EEE, this despite the fact that Windows XP will
| stop being available to OEMs in June 2008 according to what I've seen
| announced. I hope those governments have figured out a plan on how
| they will upgrade someday. Hahahaha. Their only hope is if Microsoft
| can pick OLPC's brains fast and then figure out how to get a smaller
| footprint.
|
| [ Update: It's not just in the third world. A reader just sent me this
| link, about Microsoft offering Finland free Live.edu software for all
| Finnish schools, and the software enables "community features such as
| a discussion forum students can use to discuss with each other". Sort
| of like what XO meshing enables? More, if you can read Finnish.]
|
| So, bottom line? I read it as meaning that Microsoft would like to
| join Intel in killing off One Laptop Per Child's XO laptop, because it
| runs Linux on AMD, and because OLPC identified a new market in the
| third world, and monopolies are like the grave -- they never say,
| "Enough".
|
| Please remember this day, next time someone tells you how
| philanthropic Mr. Gates is. Monopolies these days not only crush
| competition, they're willing to crush a charity to make a buck. I
| would say any apparent cooperation with OLPC, therefore, is just for
| show, folks. Those "technical" difficulties won't be solved, I figure,
| until this new market is glutted with Microsoft on Intel Classmates
| and Asus EEE's, loaded with XP, that old-fashioned operating system,
| and none of their laptops can do for those children what the OLPC XO
| can do. P.S. Children don't need training to use an OLPC XO. It's
| designed to not need it. I hope OLPC patented everything before they
| show Microsoft a thing. For real. Otherwise, someday we'll be looking
| for prior art to overturn a Microsoft patent or two.
|
| Yoohoo, EU Commission! Are you watching these maneuvers?

Does anybody care about Mr. Gates’s visit in Paris?

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates took the opportunity to enslave sign an agreement with the mayor
| of Paris that will provide educational and social services of the city
| with “free” PCs running Windows Vista (oh, Joy!).
|
| [...]
|
| Call me envious, jealous, or simply evil, but it’s been a long time I don’t
| buy into Mr Gate’s social initiatives. I call them enlightened self-interest,
| especially when it’s about offering computers running Vista to the poor the
| very same day the French gendarmerie is announcing the migration of 70,000
| desktops to Ubuntu Linux. Yes, you read that right. If there’s any news this
| week coming from France, this is it.
`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2008/01/30/does-anybody-care-about-mr-gatess-visit-in-paris/

Gates to tap young minds

,----[ Quote ]
| Giving away Microsoft software also helps to ensure the next generation of
| code writers is well-versed in the Redmond, Wash., company's technology....
| Because they are minors and can't sign license agreements, high school
| students will have access to the tools only through their teachers.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_8302312

CH: Geneva schools completely switch to Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| About 70,000 students and their 7,000 teachers in the Geneva school district
| will gradually be moving to Open Source.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7576/6008

Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html