[News] [Rival] Latest iPhone Cracked

iPhone OS 2.0 Unlocked

,----[ Quote ]
| The new iPhone OS 2.0 software has been unlocked and jailbroken. It was
| released just hours ago and it has already been cracked by the iPhone Dev
| Team. The first one took a couple of months, but this one was actually
| unlocked before Apple released it to the public. And you have had the proof
| in front of you all morning.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/5023971/iphone-os-20-unlocked-yes

Related:

Motorola: Apple will not open the iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| CTIA The senior director of entertainment products at Motorola questions
| whether Apple will truly "open up" the iPhone.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/25/motorola_says_iphone_will_not_be_open/

Hackers saw through iPhone AT&T shackles

,----[ Quote ]
| Hackers have succeeded in (partially) unlocking the iPhone so Apple's
| much-hyped device can be used on at least one network other than AT&T.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/20/iphone_unlocked/

Apple Patches iPhone Security Vulnerability

,----[ Quote ]
| "For the mass majority of consumers, there is no high value to gain in
| risking another iPhone brick," Andrew Storms, director of security operations
| for nCircle, said in an e-mail. "With the SDK on its way, it's best to
| upgrade, take advantage of the security patch, and sit tight for a few
| months."
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071113/tc_nf/56703

iPhone Security Hellhole?

,----[ Quote ]
| First, the iPhone root password was broken. OK, it happens. But now it seems
| that all applications run on the iPhone as root. Can you say biggest security
| blunder of the 21st century to date?

IPhone Flaw Lets Hackers Take Over, Security Firm Says

,----[ Quote ]
| The researchers, working for Independent Security Evaluators, a company that
| tests its clients’ computer security by hacking it, said that they could take
| control of iPhones through a WiFi connection or by tricking users into going
| to a Web site that contains malicious code. The hack, the first reported,
| allowed them to tap the wealth of personal information the phones contain.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/23/technology/23iphone.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1185163364-1OTsRJvbylLamj17FY2wnw&oref=slogin

iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
| project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
| are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
| framework to go with it.
`----

http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_matures_free_your_phone_movement

OpenMoko Neo1973 - an open source Linux based iPhone killer in the making ?

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/07/openmoko-neo1973-open-source-linux.html

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Google Android dev kit exposes Apple-inspired roots

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/12/google_android_dev_kit_exposes_apple_inspired_roots.html