Re: A Problem and its Solution -- Microsoft style

____/ Richard Rasker on Friday 11 July 2008 11:53 : \____

> [KEYBOARD WARNING]
>
> Well, Microsoft sure tries to keep on top of all those problems that keep
> cropping up in Vista and the likes. And last week, they identified the
> following severe showstopper:
>
>  "The words "Friendster," "Klum," "Nazr," "Obama," and "Racicot" are not
>   recognized when you check the spelling in Windows Vista and in Windows
>   Server 2008"
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955020
>
> Ouch, now *that's bad*! All those poor Windows users typing "Obama",
> completely at a loss what the wiggly red line is doing there ... or (for
> the more computer-savvy) severely disappointed in Microsoft products ...
>
> So, what's the remedy? Yup, a Windows Update ...
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/11/vista_update/
>
>  "Download size: 56.3 MB"
>
> Ah, I think what we're seeing here is the all-new Vista technology at its
> bloatest -- er, finest ... but OK, I guess the download isn't just the
> words to be added to the dictionaries, but the complete, revised
> dictionaries. This isn't actually much different from the way things go in
> Linux and other OS'es. But come on ... pushing out 56 MB in dictionaries
> just to add a handful of rarely used words ... But we're not done yet:
>
>  "You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect."
>
> And Vista wasn't supposed to need a reboot after every fart? And why on
> earth would something like a dictionary change need a reboot? Please don't
> tell me that Vista's dictionaries are preloaded into memory upon boot, or
> something utterly silly and bloaty like that ... Besides, what's with
> the "may"? Howcome Microsoft doesn't even know whether a reboot is
> necessary or not? They wrote the crap themselves, now didn't they?
> Ah well, it's nu use getting all worked up over something as trivial as
> this ... although:
>
>  "Update type: Important"
>
> This would be hilarious if it weren't so sad.
>
> Richard Rasker

When they take the Osama out your Obama, there's risk that the NSA'a back doors
in Vista will be exploited by Al-Qaeda.

Now seriously, Microsoft promise that Vista would resolve that reboot issue. I
guess its promises are not worth relying on.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    It is no longer uncommon to be uncommon