[News] MySQL Takeover Already Leaving Linux Out in the Cold, Sun's CEO Demoted?

Sun Updates MySQL Carrier-Grade Clustered Database

,----[ Quote ]
| These three parts of the market--telcos, NEPs, and service providers--are
| still a key driver of sales at Sun, thanks in large measure to the popularity
| of Solaris among these companies, not the least of which because it is a
| rugged, nearly real-time implementation of Unix that still has some features
| that stock Linux does not. Applications and databases drive platform choices,
| as they have from the beginning of the computer business, and are one of the
| reasons why Sun shelled out $1 billion in cash to acquire open source
| database management system maker MySQL in January of this year. The
| combination of Solaris and MySQL--particularly the carrier-grade extensions
| of MySQL--allow Sun to protect a market that Linux players want to take over.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tug/tug071008-story06.html

What happened to the promise, Mickos?

Rumor: Sun Setting for Sun’s CEO?

,----[ Quote ]
| The VAR Guy picked up the phone and dialed Sun Microsystems Inc.’s investor
| relations department. When the call went to voicemail, he left this
| message: “Are the rumors true? Is Sun seeking to replace CEO Jonathan
| Schwartz?” Here’s more on the rumor, and The VAR Guy’s depressing reaction to
| it.
|
| [...]
|
| (Update July 10: Sun sent Nine Lives Media Inc. — thevarguy.com’s parent– an
| email statement indicating that the company had “no comment.”)
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/07/09/rumor-sun-setting-for-suns-ceo/

Recent:

MySQL chief to users: Don't expect big disruptions post-Sun

,----[ Quote ]
| Are you hoping to try to sell more into what's been Oracle's turf?
|
| Mickos: We always say that we're not trying to eat Oracle's lunch. We're
| trying to eat their dessert.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10787_3-9919582-60.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Sun promises agenda-free MySQL development agenda

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/04/15/sun_mysql_promise_new_database/