[News] Free Software Better for the Intranet; Other FOSS Goodies

Open Source vs. Proprietary Intranet Software, Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| At first glance it might seem like a no-brainer: Get your intranet software
| and its source code for free or pay big bucks for proprietary, closed source
| software. But deciding to adopt either open source or proprietary software
| must go beyond the issue of money.
|
| [...]
|
| Open source software, licensed under a free software license such as the GNU
| General Public License (GPL), represents ultimate freedom. It represents
| flexibility and control over customization and distribution, minimizing
| vendor dependency and lock-in, avoiding restrictive and costly licensing
| agreements, and reducing total cost of ownership. In short, deciding one’s
| own software fate.
`----

http://www.intranetjournal.com/articles/200807/ij_07_30_08a.html

ApacheCon US and OFBiz Symposium bring together the Apache Community in New
Orleans, November 3-7

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/apachecon-us-ofbiz-symposium-bring/story.aspx?guid=%7B5DFE1132-38AB-468C-BBC0-9199B31E9D82%7D&dist=hppr
http://tinyurl.com/5lj2et

10 Cool Open Source Easter Eggs

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s easy to forget with all the source compiling, the conspiracy theories,
| and the OS flaming going on in every corner of the Internet, that there is a
| fun side of our beloved OS and Open Source applications. I have compiled a
| list of 10 easter eggs found in Open Source project (actually you will find
| more than 10 here, as I treated each application as one).
`----

http://hehe2.net/linuxhumor/10-cool-open-source-easter-eggs/

Recent:

VC funding for open source hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Incidentally, total funding to date stands at $2.64bn.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/04/01/vc-funding-for-open-source-hits-an-all-time-high/

Open-source venture investing hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9907679-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog