[News] Apple Attacks GNU/Linux, Says You Can't Have Your Music, Video

Apple tries to shut down El Tunes - Viva La El Tunes!

,----[ Quote ]
| What is El Tunes?
|
|     El Tunes is a GStreamer plugin that allows Linux users to play all music
|     they have purchased from the iTunes Music Store!
`----

http://vadi-blog.com/2008/07/30/apple-tries-to-shut-down-el-tunes-viva-la-el-tunes/

Why free software and Apple's iPhone don't mix

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's DRM software and the accompanying legal threats are in place to
| further their own interests by restricting the freedoms of computer users,
| while GPLv3 exists to protect those freedoms. If you are a software
| developer, please support free software by sharing your code under the terms
| of GPLv3. Even if you are not writing code specifically for the iPhone, use
| GPLv3 to ensure that no one else can subject it to the shackles of Apple's
| DRM.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/why-free-software-and-apples-iphone-dont-mix

Apple Denies Linux Access To Its Movie Trailers

,----[ Quote ]
| I want to thank Apple for being exclusionary to Linux users when you benefit
| so greatly from Open Source software.  It sets a great example and shows what
| is really important to you as a company...and that is forcing your software
| onto everyone similar to Microsoft.
`----

http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/273-Apple-Denies-Linux-Access-To-Its-Movie-Trailers.html

Related:

A Linux User's Perspective on the ITunes Store (and DRM in General)

,----[ Quote ]
| What if tomorrow you went to Best Buy or Walmart or Sam Goody and purchased a
| CD? What if, before you left the store, the salesman told you that although
| the CD was in all other respects a standard CD, that you could only play it
| if you owned a Pioneer or Sony stereo? Would that make any sense? Would it
| make you a bit hesitant about buying music from that store again?
|
| Well, if you purchase music or videos from the iTunes Store,
|
| [...]
|
| With content from the iTunes Store, however, users may find themselves a bit
| stuck if they ever want to make the switch to a more open computing platform,
| such as Linux. Because none of the DRM-restricted content from the iTunes
| Store will play on Linux. And it's all because that's how Apple wants it, to
| be honest, and not because of any technical limitation.
`----

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/324936/a_linux_users_perspective_on_the_itunes.html

Closed iPhone opens road for Linux phones

,----[ Summary ]
| With iPhone a closed platform, Linux gets an wide-open road for phones and
| other smart devices
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2007/08/apple_gives_lin.html?source=rss

iTunes in Linux - Not any time soon.

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday, Apple computer released Safari for windows, proving
| that the company does have the desire to expand their enterprise
| and myriad programs to other platforms. However, they so far have
| neglected the Linux user. Will apple release iTunes for Linux?
| Not anytime soon. So what solutions does the open source
| community have?
`----

http://pimpyourlinux.com/linux-feature-review/itunes-in-linux-not-any-time-soon/

Ask Apple about the iPhone