Re: Microsoft donate to Apache

On Jul 29, 4:18 am, Hadron <hadronqu...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Rex Ballard <rex.ball...@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > On Jul 28, 5:53 pm, Hadron <hadronqu...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7528857.stm
>
> >> ,----
>
> > Microsoft's credentials and "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" tactics are
> > well-known throughout the industry.
>
> As an IBM consultant pimping close source solutions I can see why you
> are not happy with this cash injection into the OSS arena. Maybe Roy's
> masters have a few crumbs for you (if Liarnut has not licked them all off
> Roys lap at this time that is).

I guess you aren't aware that IBB has been a contributor to OSS
projects for years, incluing Apache projects like Tomcat, Struts, and
Jakarta.

WebSphere is a bled of OSS software and wizards that make it easier to
transform one component into another, for example a POJO class to a
Bean, to an EJB to a SOAP object to the XSD to teh WSDL.

Each of these steps can be very labor intensive, which can be a
problem when you are paying consultants 80-200 per hour.  I even
entertain the option of using the OSS packages for some of the
servers.  But the "heavy lifting" really becomes a choice of "We can
use WebSphere and do it with 10 people in 6 monhts, or we can do it
using all OSS components with Business components written from scratch
ad use 50 people for a year.

That's with a relatively trivial pilot project. Imagine a full
enterprise integration where you might have thousands of componennts
to be integrated.  Just the database may have a few hundred tables
with up to 100 attributes per table.

Neeless to say, when a customer knows what the tools can do, they
usually look ext to whether it should be WebSphere, WebLogic, or
Oracle Fusion, and the choise of integrator company service ferm is a
big part of that choice.

The real key is in the nonfunctional requirements.  If you want it to
be fast, secure, scalable, managable, and reliable, that requires
componentns that generally are not "off the shelf solutions".

As a percentage of the whole integration project, the royalties for
Websphere are a drop in the bucke.