[News] Air Force Learns Hard Lesson on Importance of Free Software

Sovereign immunity blocks DMCA suit against Air Force

,----[ Quote ]
| Davenport added an automatic expiration date to the software that required
| the additional users to install the most recent version upon expiration.
|
| Eventually, the program became popular in the Air Force's manpower community,
| the senior brass approved of its use and Davenport received a promotion.
| Everything looked great, but then the Air Force – apparently concerned that
| it had become too dependent on Davenport for support for the program –
| demanded his source code. Davenport refused.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/30/dmca_suit_blocked/

In the US, the Air Force uses GNU/Linux.

Related:

[Hill Air Force Base Making] Order out of chaos

,----[ Quote ]
| Hill is using Red Hat Enterprise Linux Version 5, which has received Common
| Operating Environment certification from the Defense Information Systems
| Agency, meeting DISA requirements for interoperability, performance and
| standards. It also received certification through the Common Criteria
| Evaluation and Validation Scheme, a cooperative effort of the United States,
| Canada and Europe that’s spearheaded by the National Institute of Standards
| and Technology. CCEVS is “sort of a Good Housekeeping Seal of approval” that
| a product is secure, Smith said.
|
| Microsoft Windows just doesn’t have a good reputation when it has to scale to
| an enterprise application that requires high levels of security, Smith said.
`----

http://www.gcn.com/print/26_16/44607-1.html

A--Redhat Software License and Support

http://www.fbo.gov/spg/USAF/AFMC/ASC/FA8604-07-R-7041/Combine%20Synopsis%5FSolicitation.html

Air Force wants to reuse software components

,----[ Quote ]
| The strategy, said Charles Riechers, the Air Force's principal
| deputy assistant secretary for acquisition, is to "encourage the
| use of open standards, open data interfaces and best-of-breed open
| source software solutions."
`----

http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/44278-1.html

I-Open Selects Near-Time Web Platform to Accelerate Economic Development
Communities Across the U.S.

,----[ Quote ]
| The new models of economic development that I-Open is developing
| and deploying initially are in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana and are
| based on Morrison?s concept of open source economic development in
| which the same principles of open networks and open source
| software development are applied to economic development. Morrison
| has been developing this framework over the past seven years,
| founded on the belief that prosperity in communities is built
| through open networks of collaboration.
`----

http://carolinanewswire.com/news/News.cgi?database=1news.db&command=viewone&id=4484&op=t
http://tinyurl.com/2hhcqz

FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197800480