[News] Microsoft Still Operates Like Mafia Against GNU/Linux

Microsoft: still a business of threats?

,----[ Quote ]
| The obvious thought came to me while writing last week's column ("SCO Group:
| Its future is all used up") that about the only folk (other than the deluded
| and amoral management of the SCO Group) that want the SCO Group effort
| attacking Linux and other open source initiatives to succeed is Microsoft. So
| I decided to explore that side in this follow-up column, but a bit of reading
| led me to the conclusion that things are not as simple as they appear.
|
| For years Microsoft has been claiming that Linux has been stealing its
| intellectual property rights (IPR, i.e., patented technology).
|
| The obvious, and sometimes stated, intent of this was to make corporate IT
| buyers decide that Microsoft technology was the legally safe way to go since
| there might be lawsuits in the wings. This Microsoft effort has seemingly
| attempted to exceed the effort by The SCO Group in the sleazy department.
|
| Microsoft claimed that the Linux development community was knowingly stealing
| Microsoft IPR and broadly implied that Microsoft might come after Linux users
| some day. However, Microsoft did not spell out what the technology was so
| that the Linux community could stop "violating" Microsoft's rights.
| (See "Microsoft: Delaying product, spewing FUD.")
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/columnists/2008/072808-bradner.html

Microsoft and SCO truly deserve to be arrested or something for vile behaviour,
for being bullies. But who would police them? A president who too is a bully,
and is also funded by Microsoft?

Recent:

Beware Microsoft's Mistake: Looking Desperate

,----[ Quote ]
| You remember that old dating wisdom about playing hard to get? Turns out it
| might apply to the business world, too.
|
| Consider Microsoft MSFT, which opened the door this week on yet another
| possible takeover of Yahoo! YHOO. Just when it seemed like Microsoft had
| finally walked away from a potential deal, the company admitted they're still
| open to negotiations -- provided Yahoo! ditches its current board of
| directors.
|
| How do the maneuverings of two tech giants apply to small business? The
| lesson is in the way this ongoing back-and-forth is affecting Microsoft's
| reputation. It's fine to be aggressive in going after what you want. But act
| too desperate -- or come across like a bully -- and you'll lose the battle of
| public opinion. Microsoft can afford to look like the bad guy, but can you?
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/s/beware-microsofts-mistake-looking-desperate/newsanalysis/small-business-blog/10426366.html?puc=googlen&cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

Microhoo: Ballmer takes off his gloves

,----[ Quote ]
| What Ballmer means: Jerry, you are making us both look bad. It's time to get
| in gear, and if I have to bring on the irate dancing monkey and go straight
| to the shareholders, I will.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13953_3-9912291-80.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft Threatens Yahoo Board With Proxy Battle, Lower Bid

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. Chief Executive Steven A. Ballmer threatened Yahoo Inc.
| directors with a hostile takeover of the company if they don't reverse course
| and agree to a deal within the next three weeks.
`----
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120741922713292671.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp said on Monday it may borrow money for the first time in its
| history to fund a portion of its $44.6 billion unsolicited offer for Yahoo
| Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205

Related:

Sun exec accuses Microsoft of 'patent terrorism'

,----[ Quote ]
| The efforts of Microsoft to pressure the Linux community over alleged and
| unspecified patents is akin to "patent terrorism", according to a local
| executive for Sun Microsystems.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Sun-exec-accuses-Microsoft-of-patent-terrorism-/0,130061733,339280437,00.htm

Microsoft, the art of Corporate Terrorism.

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, no longer the technological leader in the Computer Desktop
| market, is taking on a terrorist role in its attempt remain in power
| at all costs. (see the link to the CNN story below)
|
| The tactic is intended to frighten current, and would be, free
| software users away from products that Microsoft just can't compete
| with. It's not a new tactic, but for the first time desperation is
| beginning to show.
`----

http://sweetcomputing.com/index.php?wiki=Microsoft_Terrorism

Convicted Monopolist Terrorizes Software Industry

,----[ Quote ]
| That headline is designed to grab your attention. Sensationalistic as
| it may be, it also happens to be true, if what you mean by 'terrorize'
| is to provoke fear.
|
| If you've been following the presidential race in the United States,
| you know the present crop of candidates have been exploiting the fear
| of the American people as they never have before in the history of
| the country.
`----

http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/ms_threats.html

Microsoft's American Proxy Patent War Continues

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://fussnotes.typepad.com/plexnex/2007/10/microsofts-prox.html
http://allafrica.com/stories/200701230831.html