[News] Free (Libre) PCs Now a Reality, Eye Expansion

FSF works with Los Alamos Computers to provide free computers

,----[ Quote ]
| Sullivan first heard about LAC when FSF supporters suggested linking to the
| company on the hardware list. The FSF had been interested in pre-loaded free
| systems ever since Dell started offering Ubuntu on some systems last year,
| and was even considering offering its own custom systems, but decided that
| working with an existing manufacturer was "a better option. We want to gt
| these machines in at a lot of places," Sullivan says.
|
| The only problem was that, although LAC had almost eight years' experience
| selling computers pre-installed with GNU/Linux, "at that time they weren't
| quite selling free systems," Sullivan explains. "So I wrote to them asking if
| they would be interested in taking a few additional steps by providing a page
| on their site that would emphasize freedom by using the GNU name and provide
| fully free systems. They'd been thinking of doing that for a while, and our
| call was the motivation they needed to get things going."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/142384

Related:

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD’s recent move to fully support open source graphics could be the best
| news desktop Linux has had in a long time.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427

SplashTop Linux On HP, Dell Notebooks?

,----[ Quote ]
| Days after we delivered that inaugural review, we found out DeviceVM was in
| talks with OEMs about shipping SplashTop on desktops and notebooks.
|
| [...]
|
| In addition to the instant-on Linux excitement this week for the HP Envy 133,
| Dell is apparently working on a similar Linux solution. Engadget has shared
| details surrounding the Dell E and E Slim.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=splashtop_voodoo&num=1

Asus laptops get ‘instant-on Linux’

,----[ Quote ]
| The Splashtop OS, which Asus rebrands as Express Gate, consist of a
| proprietary real-time ‘core engine’ called by the notebook’s BIOS, atop which
| sits a highly customised Linux stack
`----

http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=2318

Asus to launch laptops with Linux Net software

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=2015115267&rid=-50