[News] China Bypasses Microsoft with UOF

Three Chinese Ministries Promote UOF Office Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Ren predicts that the UOF standard will be promoted in at least six
| ministries in China by the end of 2008 and then might become compulsory among
| other Chinese entities. This should ruffle some feathers at Sun, IBM, and
| Microsoft.
`----

http://www.chinatechnews.com/2008/07/28/7084-three-chinese-ministries-promote-uof-office-software/

Microsoft's OOXML Corruptions Still Followed by Exclusion of #1 Rival?
Microsoft denies it now, but...

SFLC Analysis of Microsoft's OSP: No Assurance for Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a significant development. The Software Freedom Law Center has now
| published an analysis of Microsoft's Open Specification Promise that it
| attaches to OOXML, and it finds that the promise provides no assurance for
| FOSS developers.
|
| [...]
|
| In other words, I read that as saying that Microsoft says you can use it, but
| only in a very limited field of use defined by Microsoft, and only as long as
| you don't use it the way Microsoft knows FOSS developers use code. Like their
| lawyers didn't realize. Hardy har.
|
| So, if and when Microsoft/Ecma/supporters try to tell you NBs any different,
| now you have this paper to rely upon. Please ask yourselves, if FOSS
| developers can't use OOXML, in what way can it be called a standard? A
| standard Microsoft's number one competition can't safely use?

Loongson Lives: Release of Linux PC with Chinese processor

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most controversial high-tech projects in Chinese history took a
| respectable step forward this month, with the commercial release of an actual
| shipping PC based on the Loongson 2F processor.
`----

http://blog.foolsmountain.com/2008/07/11/loonson-lives-linux-pc-with-chinese-processor/
http://tinyurl.com/6bp5nc

China in anti-monopoly probe of Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| China has begun an anti-monopoly investigation into US giant Microsoft and
| several other global software firms, the country's intellectual property
| watchdog said Wednesday.
|
| The development comes with Microsoft already embroiled in a standoff with the
| top antitrust watchdog in Europe, where officials have long accused the
| software titan of abusing its dominant market power.
`----

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080618123708.wux9suz1&show_article=1

Mass SQL Injection Attack Targets Chinese Web Sites

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146048/mass_sql_injection_attack_targets_chinese_web_sites.html
http://tinyurl.com/5tmj3q