[News] Free Software Movement Expands

Open Source Evangelist in the Making

,----[ Quote ]
| THE name Raj Kissu Rajendran may not ring a bell among the local information
| and communications technology fraternity now, but the software engineering
| student of Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology could well be a
| household name in the future. With a passion for software programming, he
| recently became one of the first locals to take part in the highly recognised
| Google Summer of Code programme. Izwan Ismail finds out more.
|
| [...]
|
| Q: Do you have any idol(s) from the software programming space?
|
| A: There are two whom I admire a lot: Richard Stallman and Jon Postel.
| Stallman started the free software movement and is author of the GNU General
| Public License, which is the most popular free software licence available
| today.
|
| I admire Postel because of his work in the area of RFCs (Request for
| Comments). RFC is important as it dictates how the Internet and similar
| networks should work. It's like the bible for people who develop the Internet
| and similar networks.
`----

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews+articleid_2440291&title=Open_Source_Evangelist.html

It's becoming clear that developers now gravitate towards FOSS.

Recent:

Assessing the Size of the Free Software Movement

,----[ Quote ]
| Did you know that there are at least 32 organizations in 3 continents and 10
| countries? Did you know there are a number of GNU/Linux User Groups - as
| opposed to Linux User Groups? Whether it is hardware, GIS or music, there are
| a variety of organizations closely aligned with the Free Software
| Foundation/GNU Project in purpose and spirit.
`----

http://blue-gnu.biz/node/69

FSF prepares a new "Libre Planet" campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| In a letter that recently came with Free Software Foundation's Bulletin Peter
| Brown poses an invitation to "help us build Libre planet - a base for free
| software activists and community" going on "your support will help launch
| Libre Planet by August 2007".
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/fsf_prepares_a_new_libre_planet_campaign

Newest FSF board member Hill discusses free software goals

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/116647