Re: [News] Many Lies About Wine Debunked

Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 08:09:19 -0500, Charlie Tame wrote:

Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 20:41:01 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Debunking the Debunked WINE Myths

,----[ Quote ]
| Myth 1: "Wine is slow because it is an emulator"
Wine is slow because it is WINE and not native Microsoft code.

Please explain what Microsoft Native Code is?

Windows code...

Which CPU is made by Microsoft?

None. thank God :)

Windows code these days is often "Compiled" first to "Byte code" when the program is written and then "Interpreted" from "Byte code" by such the as .net framework to actual "Native" code the processor can run. This is rather like writing a program in Java. In that case the Java Virtual Machine is the "Interpreter" that converts it to the processor's "Native" code.

Both of these processes are slower than writing something in C++ which in turn is slower to execute than something written in Assembler for the processor concerned.

As someone else pointed out running XP or Vista under an emulator like VirtualBox can be just as fast as running dedicated on the host - quite surprising since the operating system on the host can be used at the same time. Some fancy graphics like Aero don't work, but everything else does, so that kinda questions what overhead Aero places on the system.

Different people will always have different experiences and preferences, and what suits you will likely not always suit me, although sometimes it will. Both Windows and Linux varieties can be excellent for some people in some circumstances, that may vary in other circumstances. Personally I think learning alternatives is always a good thing. One of the useful things about Linux (most of them) is that if you have a machine that has no legal Windows, it's broken or you lost the CD etc, you can still legally use that machine, for many people that s a useful thing but only if the know about it. The last thing I would like to see is Microsoft go down the toilet, but they also don't want their software stolen and I don't want to steal it. There is no need to do either. That is a good thing.