[News] Signs of an Age of Free Software

The open call

,----[ Quote ]
| Inevitably as Linux has gained traction it’s attracted more and more
| attention. From Dell selling Ubuntu PCs to ASUS choosing Xandros for the
| EeePC, it’s become almost trendy to add Tux to a product.
|
| And key to this, of course, is open source. As a philosophy and a development
| model, it’s given us everything from Firefox to Ogg Vorbis and a whole
| shebang in between. Building, and using, open source software is becoming an
| increasingly recognised business model. Used well it can help the bottom
| line, or play a part in a strageic play – much like Nokia’s recent
| announcement of the Symbion Foundation releasing Symbion OS (which runs a
| majority of the world’s mobile phones) as open source.
|
| [...]
|
| My money up until now has been going to NVIDIA. Its binary drivers haven’t
| exactly been great, but they were always better than AMD’s.
|
| But that’s just about to change – the inevitable Tux tide has already won
| over Intel in this regard, and now AMD is joining in, releasing
| specifications for its latest GPUs and working with open source developers,
| leaving just NVIDIA now to lag behind.
`----

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=117827

Recent:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

AMD Makes An Evolutionary Leap In Linux Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Tux being part of their licensed box design, forthcoming CrossFire support,
| and other major features coming are major wins for the Linux community. For
| those concerned that AMD is attempting to build back up its binary blockade,
| don't worry as their open-source strategy will continue with the RV770. AMD
| engineers are in the process of sanitizing the programming documentation for
| this brand new GPU for public release in the coming weeks. We suspect the
| xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-radeonhd developers will have the documentation
| even sooner under NDA. In addition, the open-sourcing of KGrids and TCore
| will be relevant and helpful for the 2D and 3D RV770 open-source support.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_evolution&num=1

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427