[News] Microsoft Bets on GNU/Linux Technology (Again)

Microsoft buys data warehouse appliance maker DATAllegro

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps the most interesting is that DATAllegro doesn't even support SQL
| Server at the moment. It was built on Ingres and Linux. Microsoft claims that
| it selected DATAllegro because its architecture is "open" and therefore
| easiest to port to SQL. But it certainly seems that by selecting an MPP
| player proven to scale beyond the capacity of the competitors (and one built
| on Linux no less) Microsoft has snipped the head off a competitor while
| filling in a hole in its offerings for SQL Server 2008.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/30311

The rich irony of Kevin Johnson's departure from Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Johnson, the man who for years fought against open source, and particularly
| Linux. The man who talked about Linux forking back in 2005 and then who, as
| head of Microsoft's Windows unit, must have been involved in trying to foster
| that fork with Microsoft's patent deal with Novell. The same Johnson who, as
| head of the Windows business, had to have been involved in Microsoft's patent
| campaign against Linux.
|
| Johnson, the man who now heads up a company deeply indebted to and entrenched
| with the open-source FreeBSD operating system at the heart of its JUNOS
| operating system, as well as Linux.
|
| Yesterday: Open source, Johnson's enemy. Today: Open source, Johnson's
| friend. Oh, how sweet the irony!
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9999376-16.html

Related:

Breaking: Newsvine Acquired By Microsoft — What is Microsoft going to do with
the Linux Hosted site they just bought?

| The funny thing is, The site is hosted on Debian Linux...
`----

http://www.tribbleagency.com/?p=383

Top secret: Microsoft's $6 billion open source play

,----[ Quote ]
| This month's announcement by Microsoft to acquire digital marketing
| services firm aQuantive has revealed little on how the companies
| will integrate their IT, but inside information indicates the deal
| may be Redmond's largest commitment to free software.
|
| [...]
|
| Whether the businesses are complementary or not, Microsoft's integration
| work will no doubt involve a lot of open source software used by aQuantive.
|
| Information available from Atlas' Web site indicates the Internet software
| company employs extensive use of open source software including Linux,
| Apache, MySQL, and Solaris.
|
| Software engineers at Atlas' Raleigh office do client/server development in
| C and C++, software maintenance and "scripting", and developing and
| maintaining custom reporting capabilities.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1616039231;fp;2;fpid;1

It's unofficial: Microsoft bets business on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| What the press statement didn't mention is that Aruba mobility
| controllers run the Linux operating system which Microsoft has
| aggressively targeted as being inferior to Windows as part of
| its "Get the Facts" marketing campaign.
|
| [...]
|
| Pandey's appraisal of Aruba's technology is in stark contrast to
| Microsoft's "Get the Facts" rhetoric which places Windows as a more secure,
| and higher-performing choice over Linux.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;754084996;fp;2;fpid;1

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

`----