[News] Pogo Linux Adds ZFS, Kernel Hackers Still Reject It

Pogo Linux and Nexenta Announce New StorageDirector Z-Series Storage Solutions,
Featuring NexentaStor(TM)

| Pogo Linux, a Seattle-based storage server manufacturer, and Nexenta Systems,
| developer of NexentaStor(TM), the leading open storage solution based upon
| the revolutionary file system ZFS, announced the immediate availability of a
| new set of storage appliances featuring NexentaStor at this week's OSCon
| 2008. These storage appliances, called the StorageDirector Z-Series, deliver
| enterprise class NAS functionality built upon the ZFS based NexentaStor
| software on integrated Pogo Linux hardware platforms.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/pogo-linux-nexenta-announce-new/story.aspx?guid=%7BAC413B0D-F35E-40BF-9E09-695E5A69DB8C%7D&dist=hppr

When Will ZFS Come To Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately, as ZFS is licensed under Sun's CDDL (Common Development and
| Distribution License) instead of the GNU GPLv2 or GPLv3, this file-system
| hasn't been supported within the Linux kernel.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjYwNw

ZFS  is not Free software. If it's adopted, it could hurt free counterparts.

Proposing Read-Only ZFS

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent thread on the lkml discussed a blog entry stating that minimal ZFS
| support for GRUB was available under the GPL license, "we could now use that
| code to implement support for ZFS in the Linux kernel." Alan Cox
| explained, "no we can't. The GPL ZFS bits don't include the various methods
| that would violate the patent so there is no grant. I've several times asked
| Sun to simply give permission and they don't even answer. I can only read the
| Sun motivation one way - they want to look open but know that ZFS is about
| the only thing that might save Solaris as a product in the data centre so are
| not truly prepared to let Linus use it." H. Peter Anvin added, "from what I
| can see, it is an absolutely-minimal read only implementation."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Proposing_Read-Only_ZFS

Recent:

I swear, this is not another Unixfication post

,----[ Quote ]
| Is Sun talking with Linus about moving ZFS to GPLv2, with the objective of
| fast tracking ZFS into a native Linux kernel implementation of the file
| system driver? Or is Linus considering moving the kernel to GPLv3, with Sun
| doing the same for OpenSolaris? Is Linux and Solaris DNA going to swap much
| quicker than previously thought?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8854

Linux and Sun Partnering?

,----[ Quote ]
| What happens when you get Linus Torvalds, Mr. Linux, together with Jeff
| Bonwick, Sun’s master of storage and creator of ZFS? Well, right now, we
| don’t know.
|
| All we know is that Bonwick has posted a trio of photos of himself and
| Torvalds on his blog under the mysterious title, Casablanca, with a couple of
| cryptic comments about chocolate and peanut butter and the phrase, “All I can
| say for the moment is… stay tuned.”
|
| Jim Grisanzio, Sun’s senior programming manager for OpenSolaris, links to the
| blog under the title “ZFS Pics.” This seems to indicate that Sun may be
| talking with Torvalds about bringing ZFS to Linux. Even this conclusion is
| really just speculation.
`----

http://practical-tech.com/operating-system/linux-and-sun-partnering/

Related:

ZFS on Linux: It's alive

,----[ Quote ]
| The project is working, with several users running and even booting from a
| ZFS volume. Correia has not undertaken any performance tuning yet, and
| one sysadmin, Chris Samuel, has posted benchmarks that clock only about
| half the speed of another Linux filesystem, XFS.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/061807-zfs-on-linux.html#6285522977769458795

ZFS Filesystem for FUSE/Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| ZFS is an advanced modern general-purpose filesystem from Sun
| Microsystems, originally designed for Solaris/OpenSolaris.
|
| This project is a port of ZFS to the FUSE framework for the
| Linux operating system.
|
| It was sponsored by Google, as part of the Google Summer of
| Code 2006 program.
`----

http://www.wizy.org/wiki/ZFS_on_FUSE

ZFS: what "the ultimate file system" really means for your desktop -- in plain
English!

,----[ Quote ]
| It has quite an extensive feature set just like its peers, but builds on
| this by adding a new layer of simplicity. According to the official site,
| ZFS key features are...
`----

http://apcmag.com/6468/zfs_the_ultimate_filesystem

ZFS to play larger role in future versions of Mac OS X

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems' relatively new ZFS filesystem will see rudimentary support
| under the soon-to-be released Mac OS X Leopard, but will eventually play a
| much larger role in future versions of the Apple operating system,
| AppleInsider has been told.
`----

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/04/zfs_to_play_larger_role_in_future_versions_of_mac_os_x.html

Rampant layering syndrome

,----[ Quote ]
| It's another post from a ZFS developer's blog. This time, it's Jeff
| Bonwick responding to Andrew Morton's claim that ZFS is a "rampant
| layering violation" because it cuts across the traditionally
| separate worlds of the filesystem, volume manager, and RAID controller.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2007/05/04/rampant-layering-syndrome

Linux: ZFS, Licenses and Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent discussion on the lkml examined the possibility of a
| Linux implementation of Sun's ZFS. It was pointed out that the
| file system is released under the GPL-incompatible CDDL, and
| that Sun has filed numerous patents to prevent ZFS from being
| reverse engineered.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/8066

Sun's Schwartz: High-Performance Computing Will Be Pervasive

,----[ Quote ]