[News] GNU/Linux Computers Come to More Major OEMs Shortly

Computers With Ubuntu Linux Coming to All Major Retailers

,----[ Quote ]
| Essentially, all major computer retail stores will carry computers with
| Ubuntu pre-installed by the end of 2008 or early 2009, predicted a Canonical
| manager who met with The VAR Guy at OSCON. But this isn’t another Linux
| desktop PC story. In this case, the computers are Netbooks (also known as
| sub-notebooks). Here’s the scoop.
|
| At least two “multinational corporations” (translation: Big PC or consumer
| electronics companies) have agreed to preinstall Ubuntu Netbook Remix edition
| on forthcoming sub-notebook devices, according to Gerry Carr, a Canonical
| marketing manager.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/07/22/computers-with-ubuntu-linux-coming-to-all-major-retailers/
http://tinyurl.com/6gq3z5

Also new:

,----[ Quote ]
| After 6 months of fieldwork from April to November 2006, I sat down to write
| my Master’s Thesis on the social dynamics of the Ubuntu Linux developers’
| on-line community. I turned in the thesis on the 23rd of June 2007, and
| defended it successfully on Monday the 27th of August 2007. After some
| tweaking and polishing, the thesis now available for a wider audience.
| Download the 2.9 MB PDF file here, or scroll down to read the abstract.
`----

http://eskar.dk/andreas/blog/?page_id=260

Recent:

PC vendors want to sell you desktop Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell is not a charity. If people weren't buying desktop Linux, they wouldn't
| be selling it. And, if more people weren't asking for it, they wouldn't be
| offering it on more systems.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/pc_vendors_want_to_sell_you_desktop_linux

Ubuntu Chief: OEMs Turning to Us for Netbook OS

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.crn.com/software/208402747