[News] [Rival] Microsoft SharePoint Gets Thumbs Down

New studies highlight the potential downsides of SharePoint

,----[ Quote ]
| ...everything from the lack of support for SharePoint database replication,
| to required custom development to include data stored in SharePoint lists for
| reporting purposes. Application lifecycle management of SharePoint is
| incomplete, the report authors said. And enterprise data integration for
| SharePoint is “primitive.”
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1492

Coming from the same shills that received money from Microsoft to publish an
anti-Linux and unsubstantiated 'study'.

Related:

Google Goes After Another Microsoft Cash Cow

,----[ Quote ]
| The Internet search giant on Wednesday is rolling out a rival to Microsoft’s
| SharePoint, a program used for collaboration among teams of workers. Google’s
| program, called Google Sites, will become part of the company’s applications
| suite, which includes e-mail, calendar, word processing, spreadsheet and
| presentation software. Like other elements of Google Apps, it will be free
| and require no installation, maintenance or upgrades.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/27/google-goes-after-another-microsoft-cash-cow/?ref=technology

Could SharePoint Be Microsoft’s New Mode of Lock-In?

,----[ Quote ]
| This could be a tough one for IT leaders. Business users are comfortable with
| Microsoft. They know how to use the Office interface, and apparently like it
| to the point users will create their own mini-BI tools from Excel and opt out
| of the corporate system. But, if Asay’s right, vendor lock-in could cause
| unforeseen problems or major costs down the road.
|
| After reading Asay’s column and the interview with Nicholls, at least you’ll
| know which questions to ask before investing in either SharePoint or an
| alternative solution.
`----

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/mia/?p=198

Sharepoint and Firefox: no rich editor for you

,----[ From the comment ]
| I am "forced" to use Sharepoint at work, but at least I'd like
| to use my Linux machine to write wiki pages. These guys at MS
| definitely don't know what they're doing...
`----

http://www.timheuer.com/blog/archive/2006/12/06/13939.aspx

Mainsoft solves SharePoint trap

,----[ Quote ]
| Mainsoft has solved the problem of SharePoint exclusivity, enabling secure
| data transfers between a SharePoint store and an IBM Websphere portal.
|
| [...]
|
| It won’t be cheap, but it’s going to get easier, for enterprises to escape
| the SharePoint trap.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1701

Users claim six month wait for SharePoint support

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itworldcanada.com/a/News/45a09da1-3e5f-4f79-ae39-eae4227d93b3.html