[News] Comparison Between Ubuntu and Other GNU/Linux Distributions

Ubuntu VS Other Linux Distributions

,----[ Quote ]
| If you log into the command line of both an Ubuntu system and a Red Hat
| Enterprise
| Linux or Fedora system, very little will look different. There are common
| directories and utilities between the two, and functionality is fundamentally
| the same. So what makes Ubuntu different from other Linux distributions? One
| difference is the installer.
|
| The complexity of booting and installing Ubuntu has been narrowed down to a
| handful of mouse clicks, making many of the install decisions automatic based
| on assumptions as to what the average user may need and want. In contrast, a
| Red Hat system presents the user with many install options, such as setting
| up a workstation or server, individually selecting packages to install, and
| setting administrative options.
`----

http://computingtech.blogspot.com/2008/07/ubuntu-vs-other-linux-distributions.html
http://tinyurl.com/5zqjoe

Ubuntu advantages

,----[ Quote ]
| There are some advantages to running Ubuntu I can think of:
|
|     * apt-get
|     * six month release cycles
|     * at a very low cost
|     * deep access to the process that creates Ubuntu
|     * a large community with an established etiquette
`----

http://jldugger.livejournal.com/11966.html

Recent:

Battle Royale: Ubuntu 8.04 vs. openSUSE 11

,----[ Quote ]
| In my own choice of categories and tests, and in my own judgment alone,
| Ubuntu 8.04 has beaten openSUSE 11 but only by a very slim margin. It only
| shows that openSUSE is worthy to be called the second most popular Linux
| distribution at the moment, and Ubuntu is still the cream of the crop.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/06/battle-royale-ubuntu-804-vs-opensuse-11.html

Related:

Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 vs OSX Leopard - Comparison

,----[ Quote ]
| Getting Ubuntu is easy, installing it was also a breeze ever since version
| 7.04. As outlined in my PART 1 review of the process briefly here in my video
| tutorial. I recommend you download the CD Installer and create a bootable
| installation CD. The minimum memory requirement for Ubuntu 7.10 is 384MB of
| memory and 4Gigs of space (for OS X Leopard its 512MB of memory and 9 gigs of
| space). What I was initially surprised of is the built in support for dual
| boot (OS X Leopard has Boot Camp) I had Windows XP already installed and
| Ubuntu allowed me during installation to setup partions and allocate space
| for the new OS to be installed keeping my Windows (XP or Vista) installation
| intact, and at the same time created the boot manager (aka Grub Boot Manager)
| which allows you to select the operating system on bootup.
`----

http://pcwizkid.blogspot.com/2007/12/ubuntu-gutsy-gibbon-710-vs-osx-leopard.html

Review: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon takes on Mac OS X Leopard for the OS of the Year

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4641/