Re: [Rival] Neelie Kroes Takes a Shot at Microsoft's Proprietary Software

On Jun 10, 11:07 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> E.U. Snubs Microsoft on Office Systems
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Ms. Kroes has fought bitterly with Microsoft over the past four years,
> | accusing the U.S. software giant of defying her orders and fining the company
> | nearly $2.68 billion for violating European competition rules. But the speech
> | was her strongest recommendation yet to jettison Microsoft products, which
> | are based on proprietary standards, and to use rival operating systems to run
> | computers.

Here's some further quotes from groklaw's article on Kroes's speech:

<Quote>
Standards bodies do important work in difficult circumstances. But
like all of us their rules need to keep pace with the changing
commercial environment. If they need help in tightening up their rules
to avoid being manipulated by narrow commercial interests, or to
design the right ex ante rules, then they have my support. My door is
always open.
</Quote>

Hmmm.  "Narrow commercial interests."  I wonder who she could be
referring to?  PJ adds the following:

<Quote>
Well, in the case of ISO, just formulating some required rules would
be nice. You know, rules that can't change in the middle of the game.
In my schoolyard, we called that cheating. I have a suggestion. How
about a rule that a vendor proposing a standard can't stack committees
trying to decide whether or not to approve it? No? Too simple?
</Quote>