[News] Review of 'Ubuntu Mobile'; Multitouch in Linux Laptops

Trying Out Ubuntu's Netbook Remix

,----[ Quote ]
| In a blog posting this morning by Mark Shuttleworth about Netbook Remix, he
| mentions Canonical is currently working with two other companies to design
| more radical user interfaces for their mobile products. Mark also
| mentioned, "The aim was to do something very simple that could be tested
| easily, work with touch devices and made shippable very quickly. It also
| needed to be efficient on lower-power devices, and work well with Intel
| hardware, which seems to be the preferred platform for this generation of
| devices and allows us to slip a few nice effects in that would be hard
| without the right hardware support."
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_netbook_remix&num=1

Add multitouch gesture support to a TouchPad-equipped laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Multitouch interfaces provide a great deal of benefits for integrating new
| interaction modes within applications. Newer hardware and drivers on Mac OS X
| and Microsoft® Windows® allow for a variety of gestures beyond point and
| click that create more efficient application navigation. This article
| provides tools and code needed to add some of this new gesture support on
| older Linux®-enabled hardware. Building on the output of the synclient
| program, the Perl code presented here allows you to assign specific
| application functions to "Three-Finger Swipe," as well as open- and
| close-pinch gestures.
`----

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-touchpad/?ca=dgr-lnxw100os-touchpad&S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=GRsitelnxw100

Recent:

Open-Source, Multitouch Display

,----[ Quote ]
| Engineers are building inexpensive, tabletop, touch-screen displays and
| sharing the instructions online.
`----

http://www.technologyreview.com/advertisement.aspx?ad=infotech&id=32&redirect=%2FInfotech%2F20703%2F%3Fa%3Df

Related: