[News] GNewSense Overview (and Look Ahead)

GNewSense, the Present and the Future

,----[ Quote ]
| GNewSense began at a conference in Tunis in 2005 when Paul O'Malley heard
| Mark Shuttleworth and Richard Stallman talking about the possibility of a
| politically free version of Ubuntu, whose various incarnations include
| proprietary wireless drivers and access to non-free video drivers. O'Malley
| raised the idea on chat channels, and the project began in June 2006 when
| Brian Brazil joined the project.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3751586/GNewSense
+the+Present+and+the+Future.htm

Recent:

gNewSense Review

,----[ Quote ]
| The system booted from the livecd fine, except that as usual, it dropped me
| in some horribly high resolution.
| Ubuntu does that too.
| Damn mildly powerful graphics cards and monitors! :P
|
|     That is to say: ALL MY HARDWARE WORKED.
|     (except graphics acceleration which I didn't want anyway)
|
| I decided to try some things that the average person might want to do:
| I fired up Epiphany, the default browser, the homepage was gnewsense.org, I
| decided to check that my sound card was working and so looked for an mp3 file
| I could use as a test.
`----

http://www.blog.tdobson.net/node/172

gNewSense 2.0 (deltah) Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I still recommend it for anyone who wants a completely pure Linux version
| with the simplicity of Ubuntu. This can also be achieved by using Fedora,
| Debian, and Mandriva Free and not enabling any repositories containing
| non-free software. I’d recommend it to anyone who, as they say on LugRadio,
| Loves Freedom.
`----

http://server.ericsbinaryworld.com/blog/2008/05/09/gnewsense-20-deltah-review/

Ultra-free gNewSense 2.0 beta released

,----[ Quote ]
| Brian Brazil and the team behind the ultra-free gNewSense Linux distribution
| have released a beta of the forthcoming 2.0 (or Deltah) series. gNewSense is
| based on Ubuntu but strips the distribution of non-free components to provide
| users with a truly free operating system. gNewSense is backed by the Free
| Software Foundation.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2380

gNewSense 2.0 [Screenshots]

,----[ Quote ]
| Less than a week after the release of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS "Hardy Heron", the Free
| Software Foundation has gone ahead and released version 2.0 (named DeltaH) of
| gNewSense. For those not familiar with gNewSense, this is one of the few
| distributions certified by the Free Software Foundation as being a truly free
| Linux distribution. gNewSense 2.0 is essentially Ubuntu 8.04 LTS but with a
| few modifications to make it more free by removing some binary-only
| components. New in gNewSense 2.0 is also new artwork, switching the default
| web browser from Mozilla Firefox to Epiphany, Blag's deblob script in the
| kernel, and non-free GLX being removed from X.Org/Mesa. Here are a few
| screenshots from this latest release.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gnewsense_2&num=1

gNewSense 2.0