[News] Microsoft's Slipping Grip, GNU/Linux the Future

A future without Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s June 2008, and it’s not a good time to be a Microsoft shareholder or
| employee. The computing industry is changing very, very quickly, creating new
| opportunities and killing once-prosperous markets. In this short article, I
| will outline these changes in relation to free software and Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| Windows Mobile has had a very hard life penetrating the mobile market; today,
| in 2008, Windows Mobile is still tottering. The only really usable device
| I’ve seen using it was one made by HTC: Andrea was showing it to me, pointing
| out that without HTC’s proprietary UI extensions (which are very iPhone-ish),
| HTC PDAs would be mobile nightmares. I am holding my breath, waiting for the
| HTC Dream to be released: that’s an Android-based PDA which should make the
| iPhone feel like a text-based terminal. And yes, Android is based on Linux. I
| suspect that once people start noticing Android-based devices (and they will,
| once HTC Dream comes out), the Windows Mobile market will shrink even
| further.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/future_without_microsoft

Recent:

Is Vista to Blame for Windows Revenue Drop?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft said this week that Windows revenues during the first three months
| of 2008 were down nearly 24% from the same period last year.
|
| One analyst argued that the decline is more evidence that the company is
| having trouble convincing users of Windows Vista's value.
|
| "More than a year has passed since the rollout of Vista to both the business
| and consumer markets, and experiencing revenue declines so early in the
| product lifecycle is not a positive sign," said Allan Krans, an analyst with
| Technology Business Research.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,145153-pg,1/article.html

Microsoft earnings post-mortem: The cash cows quiver

,----[ Quote ]
| I can’t help but wonder if the lackluster Windows/Office results also can be
| attributed to Microsoft brass’s complete and crazy obsession with Google (and
| taking over Yahoo) has resulted in no one minding the Windows store. Kevin
| Johnson, the head of Microsoft’s Platforms & Services division seems to be so
| laser-focused on the online-ad business these days that he almost seems to
| have forgotten Microsoft is still in the software business, too.
|
| Microsoft execs’ claims about walking away from the Yahoo deal are nothing
| more than bluster. A protracted hostile takeover bid is just going to
| distract not just employees in Microsoft’s online services business, but
| company management, too. It’s not a pretty picture.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1362

Microsoft stock drops amid slumping sales

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_9061263