[News] Lower-cost PCs All About GNU/Linux

Netbooks, MIDs, whatever - it’s about lower cost Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Mobile Internet devices (MIDs) have been the focus of much work and talk from
| chip giant Intel, which says its Atom processor will fit nicely into these
| smaller devices. In a recent interview with the AP, Intel chief Paul Otellini
| says MIDs favor Linux. I’ve written previously about the opportunities for
| Linux in the growing device category ranging from these MIDs
| to ’subnotebooks,’ ‘UMPCs’ ‘netbooks’ or whatever other name we analysts come
| up with next week. No one can be sure what form factor (or name) would best
| carry Linux to a significant portion of the mainstream PC market, but I agree
| whole-heartedly with Otellini’s view that the driver here is cost. Linux is
| serving not only as the OS for end users, but it is increasingly the choice
| and focus of OEMs and ISVs. Consider Linux player Wind River’s recent
| partnership with Intel to produce a Moblin-based Linux specifically for
| Intel’s Atom and MIDs.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/06/06/netbooks-mids-whatever-its-about-lower-cost-linux/
http://tinyurl.com/5qgex7

Linux preferred over Microsoft Windows by Acer

,----[ Quote ]
| We reported yesterday how open source is becoming more of a favorite by the
| end user and as money and budgets get tighter for the public this will only
| increase. Linux has been said to be preferred over Microsoft Windows by Acer,
| this will include the fact that a Linux laptop can be sold for less.
`----

http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/06/06/linux-preferred-over-microsoft-windows-by-acer/

This is exceptionally bad for Microsoft. As it predicted, it margins would
continue to decline.

Yesterday:

Will Linux force Microsoft to give XP Pro more life?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has been forced by Linux's popularity on UMPCs (Ultra Mobile PCs)
| to extend the life of Windows XP Home. My only question: How long will it
| take before Microsoft buys a clue and gives XP Pro a new lease on life as
| well?
|
| [...]
|
| Desktop Linux is the right operating system at the right time. Microsoft will
| be forced to go backwards. The next few years will see Windows rocked on the
| low-end by Linux and on the high-end by Macs.
|
| Unbelievable? Join me as we go through the years together and watch it
| happen.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/will_linux_force_microsoft_to_give_xp_pro_more_life

Recent: