Re: [News] Jeremy Allison's Piece Against Software Patents, Intellectual Monopoly

> Astronomy Domine
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| What innovations are we stifling right now with patents that lock out the
>| scientists, amateur and professional, from research ? What new software can't
>| be created due to these restrictions. We may never know what we didn't
>| discover or create due to their chilling effects.
>|
>| It's like people claiming ownership on particular areas of the sky, and just
>| as absurd. ?You can't look at that star, it's mine, I patented looking there.
>| Here's a coin-operated telescope if you want to peek?. Good luck making
>| scientific progress in astronomy with these restrictions.
> `----
>
> http://www.tuxdeluxe.org/node/283

One wonders if we might need to move to an alternative geography in
order to avoid the kind of hell so often envisaged in 1990s sci-fi
B-films - you know, the ones with the nasty corporate with all the
connections and power trampling over an "oppressed mass".  Software
patents are a dreadful artefact of a bygone age, an age where most
people were not well educated, and a privilege few could hold all the
power.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |