[News] New Commercial Interest in PostgreSQL

PostgreSQL getting with the program

,----[ Quote ]
| PostgreSQL is a sleeping giant that is waking up. And instead of wondering
| around sleepy, they seemed to be jumping forwards in what seems leaps to the
| other guys, but are just natural steps for them. Heh, I seem to be in a
| dramatic poetic mood today, but I just wanted to get across with how
| impressed I am with what is going on with the PostgreSQL community, ever
| since version 8.0. To me PostgreSQL 8.0 was so critical since with it one of
| the key obstacles to more wide spread adoption was removed: There was finally
| a native easy to install version of PostgreSQL for windows. Not that I know
| many people that deploy on windows, but I do know a ton that develop on
| windows (which included me back then).
`----

http://pooteeweet.org/blog/0/1128#m1128

ParAccel Taps Experience, Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| On the PostgreSQL front, all I can say is that I share others' appreciation
| for the number of commercial products the project has spawned, benefiting
| from its use-it-however-you-want BSD software licensing. Vendors with
| PostgreSQL-rooted products also include Dataupia, EnterpriseDB, Greenplum,
| Netezza, and Truviso among others. (A thank you to Simon Riggs of 2ndQuadrant
| for guidance on this point. And note that of those companies, only
| EnterpriseDB distributes an open-source product, Postgres Plus, which adds
| MPP and other capabilities to base PostgreSQL. A Truviso press release does
| state, "Truviso-sponsored improvements are expected to be included in the
| next release of PostgreSQL, scheduled for early 2009.")
`----

http://www.intelligententerprise.com/blog/archives/2008/06/how_paraccel_ex.html

Recent:

Compiere Delivers Open Source ERP Solution on EnterpriseDB

,----[ Quote ]
| EnterpriseDB, the leading enterprise open source database company, and
| Compiere, Inc., the global leader in open source business solutions,
| announced today that Compiere will offer EnterpriseDB’s Postgres Plus
| Advanced Server as a database option for its open source enterprise resource
| planning (ERP) solution, Compiere.
|
| [...]
|
| Previously, Compiere ran only on Oracle.
`----

http://newark.dbusinessnews.com/shownews.php?newsid=155511&type_news=latest

Report: Open-source databases on the rise

,----[ Quote ]
| This is also why Sun is increasingly playing the leadership role in open
| source. I've opined before that MySQL could become the hub of the open-source
| ecosystem, just as Oracle has built itself into the hub of a significant
| proprietary ecosystem.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9913963-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

IBM's EnterpriseDB stake: not what you think

,----[ Quote ]
| Ergo, this deal is IBM dipping its feet gingerly into a back door challenge
| to Oracle, not MySQL. Ever since IBM held back on its own SQL database
| invention, allowing Oracle to grab leadership of the market, it has always
| responded by making DB2 cheaper. But it still plays second banana. Investing
| a modest chunk in EnterpriseDB is a way of having somebody else test drive a
| new strategy for carving a wedge inside the Oracle market, something that IBM
| has hungered for going back at least 20 years.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/04/07/ibm_enterprisedb_stake/

What MySQL Can Learn from PostgreSQL

,----[ Quote ]