Re: [News] 3 More Deployments of GNU/Linux in Germany

Verily I say unto thee, that Matt spake thusly:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> [German] Federal Employment Office switches to Linux
>>
>> http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218
>

> "all of its 13,000 public internet information workstations"
>
> reported Jan 22, 2008

Makes sense. If you're going to have publicly accessible shared systems,
you're going to need a proper multi-user; secure OS like Linux.

I recall using the Windows-based Internet Terminals in Schiphol Airport
a few years back. They'd obviously had security problems that were so
insurmountable, that their final "solution" was to install Norton Ghost,
and set up each paid session so that, when it ended, it always rebooted
into DOS, and ran Ghost to restore a clean image, before logging back on
again.

I bet they spent a fortune on disks. Not to mention Windows licenses.

I wonder how much they'd have saved if they'd just used Linux.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|     ~ Cory Doctorow, The Guardian.  http://tinyurl.com/22bgx8

 14:07:58 up 168 days, 10:43,  5 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.11, 0.38