Re: [News] US Patent Madness: Curve Ball Patentable? Typos?

Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

> The most dangerous thing about this patent is that Verisign will be
> able to redirect anyone to pretty much anything (by claiming that x,
> y or z was a typo), and anyone trying to stop them from abusing this
> will be, (wait for it) abusing their patent...
>
> Essentially, they have a patent on putting entries into your DNS
> databases.

Or IOW they have a patent on network hijacking.

And certainly if a name doesn't resolve then it may well be a typo. Then
again it may just be a domain transfer glitch or other temporary error,
but whatever it is, that doesn't give Verisign the right to hijack the
network to spam people. DNS failure should /honestly/ and /accurately/
be indicated with an /error/ ... not spam.

Gah ... the United States of Advertising indeed.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|     ~ Cory Doctorow, The Guardian.  http://tinyurl.com/22bgx8

 08:39:44 up 168 days,  5:15,  5 users,  load average: 1.48, 1.07, 0.46