[News] Comments from South Africa on the Appeal Against Microsoft OOXML (Scandals)

  • Subject: [News] Comments from South Africa on the Appeal Against Microsoft OOXML (Scandals)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 07:55:23 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Emerging markets back SA

,----[ Quote ]
| “Emerging markets are showing strength, and we are proud that SA was the
| leader in the appeal initiative. The emerging markets represent the majority
| of the world's population, and the ISO is now at a crossroads,” says
| Shuttleworth Foundation fellow Andrew Rens.
|
| He says the ISO will have to make a decision to either stand firm, or support
| the appeals of the emerging markets. “If they decide to be objective and
| independent, they will have the backing of all those who are following the
| appeal process, and several others over and above that.”
|
| [...]
|
| “It will be extraordinary if the secretary-general does not allow the appeals
| to go through. It would put the ISO in disrepute,” says Rens.
|
| He says the backing of Venezuela, India and Brazil are critical for SA. “The
| number of countries appealing makes our concerns valid. It shows that we were
| right to appeal.”
`----

http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/software/2008/0806051044.asp?O=FPTOP&S=Legal%20View&A=LEG

Recent:

ISO Fantasy

,----[ Quote ]
| What OOXML Is · The ISO process, brutal and corrupt as it was, has been
|                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| covered to death by everyone. Its output, soon to be known as ISO/IEC 29500,
| differs from ECMA-376 in two ways. ¶
|
| [...]
|
| What Microsoft really wanted was that ISO stamp of approval to use as a
| marketing tool. And just like your mother told you, when they get what they
| want and have their way with you, they’re probably not gonna call you in the
| morning.
`----

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2008/04/15/OOXML

OOXML triggers demonstration in Norway: "Let's throw OOXML out of ISO"

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-52412/ooxml-triggers-demonstration-in-norway:let-s-throw-ooxml-out-of-iso