[News] [SOT] Intel Found to Have Broken the Law in Southn Korea

South Korea to Fine Intel $25.4 Million for Trade Violations

,----[ Quote ]
| South Korea’s antitrust regulator said Thursday it would order the Intel
| Corporation to pay 26 billion won ($25.4 million) for violating fair trade
| rules.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/05/business/worldbusiness/05intel.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin

Recent:

AMD court papers allege special Intel deals with PC makers

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD also makes some more sweeping allegations, including: "What this case
| is...about is Intel's conditional payments, conditional discounts,
| punishments, threats, coercion, and assorted technological chicanery that in
| combination closed AMD's heightened window of opportunity and thereby
| prevented it from achieving sustainability as a long term innovation rival.
| Intel is in denial when it says nothing of the sort happened. The record even
| at this early and preliminary stage of discovery is replete with instances of
| just such misconduct."
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13924_1-9946618-64.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

AMD cries foul over Intel's 'river of cash' flowing to Dell

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD's charges against Intel center on what we're calling Brokeback Syndrome.
| Intel's lucrative pricing, co-marketing and financial incentives, we're told,
| made it near impossible for customers to quit the chip vendor. Intel unfairly
| coerced server and PC makers into having Intel-only stances and into pulling
| back on AMD-based product plans, AMD alleges.
|
| [...]
|
| Most of the juicy documents in the case are heavily redacted. We know AMD's
| claims cover Intel's relationships with companies such as HP, IBM, Dell,
| Acer, Gateway, Supermicro and others. But we really don't have much in the
| way of evidence - e-mails, interviews and the like - to back up the claims of
| improper relationships.
|
| [...]
|
| "The evidence also supports AMD's claim that Intel paid IBM to delay and then
| to refrain from branding or marketing its AMD blade server."
|
| Later, AMD goes on the charge about Dell. It describes Intel's position that
| Dell's Intel-only stance had nothing to do with discounts as "nonsense" and
| then claims that a "river of cash" flowed to Dell from Intel.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/16/amd_response_intel/

Intel ordered to dish documents on deleted antitrust lawsuit e-mails

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel has been ordered to hand over secret employee interviews from an
| internal investigation looking into documents and e-mails that went missing
| during its antitrust trial with AMD.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/15/intel_amd_lawsuit_internal_interviews_order/

Nvidia CEO details his beef with Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| Huang has spoken forthrightly in the last few months about Intel. The obvious
| question is why.
|
| "People thought that I had lost some of my patience with Intel recently. The
| fact of the matter is that they're out spouting things that are just not
| true. And I was just correcting that," he said.
|
| "Intel is a big, powerful company," I noted to Huang. "And there aren't many
| people like you in the industry, who are so blunt about Intel."
|
| His reaction: "Because they are Intel. Because they are a monopoly. Because
| they are a market-dominant player. They ought to be held to a higher
| standard. They shouldn't be able to say that other peoples' businesses are
| going to die."
|
| Huang, here, is referring to a statement by an Intel executive who recently
| said current graphics technology (sometimes referred to generally as
| rasterization) will be replaced by another kind of graphics technology
| (sometimes referred to as ray tracing), on which Intel is working.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13924_1-9939430-64.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Intel plays games with USB3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| This behaviour is not what defines 'standard', it is what
| defines 'proprietary'. Basically if you are competing with Intel, or are
| perceived to be competing with it, you have to wait and suck down a six-month
| disadvantage. The last time this happened was USB1.0. Intel played the same
| games and the standard was so broken it never worked.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/09/intel-plays-games-usb3

Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/03/01/microsoft_intel_vista_capable_emails/

Microsoft 'Caves' To Intel

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/28/microsoft-vista-intel-tech-ebiz-cx_wt_0228vista.html?partner=yahootix

Related:

AMD alleges Intel suffering an e-mail epidemic

| McCoy said that the case in Delaware which is sending everyone into the
| deepest of snoozes was "bogged down" because of Intel's "epidemic failure" in
| its ability to produce emails.

Intel's anti-trust memos started vanishing from the top

,----[ Quote ]
| Chairman Craig Barrett, CEO Paul Otellini and sales chief Sean Maloney
| have appeared on a list of Intel employees thought to have deleted
| e-mails possibly relevant to AMD's anti-trust lawsuit against its
| larger rival. The missing e-mails have thrust a livid state of mind
| onto AMD's lawyers who have very serious problems with Intel's
| rather lax document retention policy.
|
| [...]
|
| CEO Otellini appears to have been one of these troublesome employees.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/11/intel_tortellini_episode/

U.S. judge orders Intel to try to recover e-mails

,----[ Quote ]
| Farnan gave Intel 30 days to recover as many of the missing e-mails
| as possible and to draw up a report on the steps it is taking to do
| so, Mulloy said.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070307:MTFH90775_2007-03-07_18-56-16_N06406049&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/2fbanr

AMD: Intel Destroyed Evidence in Antitrust Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unpublished statement to the U.S. District Court of Delaware,
| AMD alleges Intel allowed the destruction of evidence in pending
| antitrust litigation.

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

Intel overwhelmed by EU complaints

,----[ Quote ]
| So many charges, so little time.
|
| Intel Chairman Craig Barrett appears overwhelmed by a European Union
| investigation into the company's actions. Earlier this month, European
| Competition Commission officials busted open Intel offices in Munich, hunting
| for documents related to alleged price fixing with retailers. That raid added
| to an existing EC investigation into Intel's business practices.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/02/22/intel_barrett_eu_gripe/

Microsoft, Intel and Dell: The Tech Love Triangle

,----[ Quote ]
| It is becoming well known that Microsoft have achieved their current market
| share status by making major computer manufacturers sign licensing deals, so
| as to distribute a copy of Windows with every computer sold. What many people
| don't realise, is how difficult it is to get a computer from the
| manufacturers without Windows.
|
| [...]
|
| This is first-hand experience of the power of Microsoft's monopolistic
| practices, and it really does annoy me. It seems not so long ago that I
| praised Dell for their support, but along with Microsoft, they have now lost
| a customer entirely.
|
| Needless to say, we are now looking to buy a system from a local shop with no
| OS.
`----

http://blog.raisingwaves.com/index.php?entry=entry071120-003039

Investors sue Dell on payments from Intel: WSJ

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo