Re: [News] [Rival] Windows 7 Just Another Windows Vista+

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut
<linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 4 Jun 2008 17:07:40 -0400
<gsD1k.496$BW4.143@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> Windows 7 Will Be A Lightly Tweaked Windows Vista
>> Is Microsoft Repeating Vista Mistakes with Windows 7?
>> Windows 7 Shows Microsoft Hasn't Learned Vista Lessons
>> Eight Things About Windows 7
>
>    http://shippingseven.blogspot.com/
>
>    Here's an idea...
>
>    A friend of mine, yesterday:
>
>    "If software crashes and loses my data more than 10 times, I should
>    get the next version for free."
>
>    . . .
>
>    About the kernel:
>    The 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 kernel has evolved quite nicely over the

Interesting terminology.

>    years, and (in my opinion) is one of the best bits of code we have.
>    You do not, and should not, do a total rewrite of a kernel in a
>    widely-used OS between releases. Writing a piece of code is a tiny
>    fraction of the work required to ship a bit of software - you have to
>    test every single line of it, find the security bugs, make sure it
>    works for every customer on every bit of hardware, etc etc.
>
> <I agree with this.>
>
>    How many times has the Ubuntu or Mac OS X kernel been rewritten?
>
> <Bozo alarm goes off>

Indeed.  As far as I can tell the Linux kernel has been
rewritten (or majorly tweaked) five or six times:

0.01 -> 0.99/1.0
1.0 -> 1.2
1.2 -> 1.4/2.0
2.0 -> 2.2
2.2 -> 2.4
2.4 -> 2.6

and even that's pushing it, as many of the older drivers
probably didn't even get touched by the rewrites.  Of course
we've had numerous patches -- mostly new drivers and bug
fixes, I'd think.

I'd have to look.  Considering that the Linux kernel is over
40 megabytes to download (compressed!), it's a rather nice
testament to the robustness of the Unix-like API and the
project management that we don't have major breakages, and
even the development kernels aren't usually that bad.  I'll
admit I've not kept up with the latest kernel developments, though.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows.  When it absolutely, positively, has to crash.