[News] [Rival] Microsoft Set Back by Software Patent Trolls

Microsoft losing grip in patent spat

http://www.vnunet.com/crn/news/2218133/microsoft-loses-grip-patent

Microsoft patent spat with Avistar hots up

,----[ Quote ]
| Avistar Communications Corporation reported today that the US Patent &
| Trademark Office (USPTO) has rejected Microsoft's requests for re-examination
| of 29 of Avistar's US patents pertaining to audio, video and collaboration
| technologies.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2218003/microsoft-patent-spat-avistar

Avistar: Patent office denies Microsoft request to re-examine 14 patents

| Avistar Communications Corp. said Monday the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
| rejected requests by Microsoft Corp. to re-examine 14 of the company's
| patents, but will look at nine of them.
`----

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2008/06/02/daily6.html?jst=b_ln_hl

Avistar 14, Microsoft 9 in patent re-examination battle; shares jump

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/docudrama/2008/06/02/avistar-14-microsoft-9-in-patent-re-examination-battle/

Microsoft's close partners from India are applying for software patents in the
United States.

Infosys awarded 2 patents by USPTO

,----[ Quote ]
| Actual 3D dimensional imaging, which includes a representation of depth
| information along with amplitude of information is not being used in these
| cases. This patent addresses the issue of 3D in mobile communication.
`----

http://www.newkerala.com/one.php?action=fullnews&id=68454

Another mobile-related patent from Microsoft frienemies:

Apple patent hints at videoconferencing for iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Filed last September, the application describes "Touch Screen Device, Method,
| and Graphical User Interface for Determining Commands by Applying
| Heuristics" - more simply, the gesture-based user interface found on the
| iPhone and iPod touch.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18592/1151/

And then there's Sun:

Update on the NetApp-Sun Patent Litigation

,----[ Quote ]
| The Order tells us that Sun was able to persuade the USPTO to agree to
| reexaminations on some of NetApp's asserted patents, three of them (there are
| four more), but this one, Order Granting Request for Inter Party
| Reexamination [PDF] on the '001 patent, is the biggie. Sun asked for inter
| partes reexamination of the '001 patent, based on prior art, and the USPTO
| issued the order granting reexamination of all 63 claims of the patent,
| finding that a "substantial new question of patentability (SNQ) affecting
| claims 1-63" of the '001 patent exists.

Trend Micro patent claim provokes FOSS community, leads to boycott

,----[ Quote ]
| Eben Moglen of the Software Freedom Law Center is aware of the case, and is
| considering a patent re-examination request or another intervention in the
| case.
|
| Contacted by Linux.com, Barracuda's Drako acknowledged the array of reactions
| by saying, "We at Barracuda want to extend our thanks to the tremendous
| number of individuals who expressed support for our defending the use of
| ClamAV free and open source software, as well as to the community members
| that have submitted prior art."
|
| If Trend Micro hasn't already, it is about to find out that the case is about
| free software after all.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/126851

Call for action: Boycott Trend Micro

,----[ Quote ]
| Anti virus developer Trend Micro accused Barracuda Networks of patent
| infringement but what they really did was attacking the users of ClamAV free
| anti virus software with a bogus patent.
`----

http://wiki.vrijschrift.org/Call_for_action%3A_Boycott_Trend_Micro

When Patents Threaten Science

,----[ Quote ]