[News] Praise for the Latest Slackware Linux

Upgrading to Slackware 12.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Slackware 12.1 is worthy upgrade to a fine distribution. I recommend it
| highly. It presents something of a paradox for users. It does not attempt to
| make system configuration easier for users, yet it is well documented and
| requires only a handful of edits to text files for configuration to get it
| running -- simple and understandable rather than easy. The end result is a
| modern Linux system that is powerful and requires little maintenance.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/136601

It has all the latest pieces (KDE, kernel, etc.), so there's no falling behind.
That's the beauty of it!

Recent:

First look at Slackware Linux 12.1

,----[ Quote ]
| All these points hint at an excellent (if not perfect) server and -- with a
| few tweaks and an occasional trip to one of the third-party Slackware
| repositories (see our Slackware page for a list) -- a fairly decent desktop
| system, especially for those who already know a thing or two about Linux.
| Slackware Linux also remains a great base system for custom solutions, as
| demonstrated by the many Slackware-based distributions that exists on the
| market. But overall, it's a mixed bag - a solid, stable and well-tested
| operating system, but clearly designed for the more knowledgeable user (or a
| user willing to learn) than the average Joe.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080505#feature

Slackware [12.1] Release Announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| Well folks, it's that time to announce a new stable Slackware release
| again.  So, without further ado, announcing Slackware version 12.1!
| Since we've moved to supporting the 2.6 kernel series exclusively (and
| fine-tuned the system to get the most out of it), we feel that Slackware
| 12.1 has many improvements over our last release (Slackware 12.0) and is a
| must-have upgrade for any Slackware user.
`----

http://www.slackware.org/announce/12.1.php

My thoughts on Slackware 12.0

,----[ Quote ]
| The installation of the NVIDIA driver for my platform went off without a
| hitch.  There aren’t a great many games for GNU/Linux yet, but there are a
| few to choose from when the desire to game hits me, and if the native
| GNU/Linux games aren’t enough, WINE works wonders.  I can generally play more
| games designed for windows than a Vista user.
|
| [...]
|
| Though Slackware takes a little bit more effort than many other operating
| systems to get set up and working, it is well worth the effort.  I have found
| my new favorite OS.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=385

Slackbuilds: A Slackware solution

,----[ Quote ]
| It's another great reason to run Slackware.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/09/slackbuilds_a_slackware_soluti.html

Slackware, the Un-Buntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Once again, Slackware is supposed to be complicated and hard to manage, but
| this experience proved to be different -- and very satisfying. In the Xfce
| printer settings, I selected CUPS to manage my printing. Then I went to CUPS
| configuration in the Slackware menu.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/09/slackware_update_finished_my_b.html

Slackware: old warhorse is going strong

,----[ Quote ]
| The last time I looked at Slackware was nearly seven years ago; version 7.1
| was thrown my way by a magazine and I was asked for a review. My usage of the
| distribution had ended early in 2000 when I moved to Debian after using
| Slackware 4.0 and then 7.0 for about a year.
|
| [...]
|
| I guess Slackware will have its band of loyal users; it has some good points
| and a certain kind of people like their Linux the way Volkerding has designed
| the distribution. Had the upgrade process been less cumbersome, who knows, I
| might still be using it.

Slackware: Secure all the way back to 8.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Slackware provides security updates all the way back to version 8.1 along
| with 9.0, 9.1, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 11.0 and 12.0, so if there is a reason
| you're using an older version of Slack, it is still being supported by the
| distro's creator, Patrick Volkerding and his team.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/09/slackware_secure_all_the_way_b.html

Slackware: There's something totally sane about it

,----[ Quote ]
| Did I mention that configuring CUPS printing for my difficult-to-dial-in
| networked printer was easier in Slackware than in anything else I've tried?
| I'm mentioning it now.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/09/slackware_theres_something_tot.html

Slackware 12 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm big fan of Slackware Linux, I have used it since the 9.0 version, and
| I am very happy with this distribution...
`----

http://xlayn.blogspot.com/2007/07/slackware-12-review.html

Slackware 12.0 Screenshot Tour

,----[ Quote ]
| Here are some of the advanced features of Slackware 12.0: runs the
| 2.6.21.5 version of the Linux kernel; system binaries are linked
| with the GNU C Library, version 2.5; X11 7.2.0...
`----

http://osdir.com/Article9865.phtml

Slackware 12.0 is released!

,----[ Quote ]
| That's right, the first 2.6(.21.5) based Slackware release is ready
| for download! We think you'll enjoy the latest kernel, KDE 3.5.7,
| XFce 4.4.1, HAL automounting for desktop users, an updated toolchain,
| and many other enhancements.
`----

http://www.slackware.com/index.php

Full Slackware 12.0 Review