[News] [Rival] Germans and Danes Denounce the ISO Process (Microsoft OOXML Corruption)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Germans and Danes Denounce the ISO Process (Microsoft OOXML Corruption)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 15:30:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Brazil and India lodge appeal against ISO standardisation of OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| The German standards institute, the Deutsches Institut für Normung (DIN),
| which despite reported voting irregularities, voted for OOXML, has yet to
| form its opinion on the appeals. A spokesperson told heise online that a
| majority of the steering committee of the IT and Applications Standardisation
| Committee (NIA) has recognised that there has been a serious breach of JTC 1
| and ISO rules. He stated that this is also the position of the DIN as a
| whole. At the same time, however, the conclusion has been reached that the
| rules for the fast-track procedure need to be amended, as documents of the
| scope of ISO/IEC 29500 can hardly be dealt with within the current framework.
| According to the spokesperson, the DIN has initiated corresponding
| discussions in Geneva.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/news/Brazil-and-India-lodge-appeal-against-ISO-standardisation-of-OOXML--/110845

Denmark Backs Up the OOXML Outrage

,----[ Quote ]
| So far, South Africa and Brazil have lodged formal appeals with the ISO,
| while several other countries are battling it out against their national
| standards bodies via their national governments. Jacob Holmblad — the Dansk
| Standard Director/ISO Vice President — told Computerworld that he will be in
| Geneva next week, and expects to see the issue addressed while he is there.
| Something tells us, however, that it will be a long, long time before we
| finally see the OOXML debacle truly addressed.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/denmark-backs-ooxml-outrage

This whole fiasco has been despicable. An energy drain to so many.

Related:

Martin Bryan: we are getting “standardization by corporation”

,----[ Quote ]
| A November informative report of Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
| WG1 highlights the fallout of the ECMA-376 fast-track process for ISO. He
| says he is 'glad to be retiring before the situation becomes impossible'
|
| [...]
|
| In what is an astonishingly outspoken report, Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC
| JTC1/SC34 WG1 has given us insight into the total mess that Microsoft/ECMA
| have caused during their scandalous, underhand and unremitting attempts to
| get - what is a very poorly written specification {i.e. DIS 29500 aka OOXML,
| AR} - approved as an ISO standard. …
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-30107/martin-bryan:we-are-getting-standardization-by-corporation

Dysfunctional ISO - Courtesy of Microsoft

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2007/12/dysfunctional-iso-courtesy-of-microsoft.html

Microsoft accused of stacking ISO committee

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1777