[News] Review of the Latest Foresight Linux; The Ease of Linux Migrations

Foresight Linux Review

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP is installed, but it’s not added into the Graphics menu. I wonder if
| it’ll be there if I reboot? I did run it from the command line and that
| worked. This is soemthing they definitely need to fix if they want to be the
| easy to use distro.  After I rebooted, it was in the menu.
|
| Overall, the distro does a very nice job of picking a small amount of
| programs to have installed as the default.  It’s weird that they didn’t have
| The GIMP installed by default, but no biggie there.  It IS bad that it wasn’t
| in the menu as soon as being installed.  It’s nice to be able to upgrade to
| the latest Gnome without having to install a whole new version of the distro.
| I don’t see anything special about it make it appeal to new users that
| doesn’t also apply to Ubuntu or any of these others.  I’ll keep an eye on
| Foresight in the future, but nothing necessarily pulls me to it right now.
`----

http://server.ericsbinaryworld.com/blog/2008/06/03/foresight-linux-review/

Ubuntu 7.10 to PCLinuxOS 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| By the time I got around to writing this, of course Ubuntu 8.10 is out. I may
| switch back to it next time I have to re-install, but the point that this
| exercise has demonstrated to me, is that switching OSes, linux to linux is a
| lot easier than going cross platform, and can easily be done inside a day.
| Food for thought.
`----

http://play.datalude.com/blog/?p=26

The slightly trickier part is moving from one desktop environment to another
(because of habits). Other than that, all distros are the same, so migrations
like these are seamless.

Recent:

Foresight KDE Alpha-Alpha-Pre-Alpha-Pre Screenshot

,----[ Quote ]
| Plans are to build a 3.5.9 Stable version and wait until 4.1 is released to
| push out a 4.1 version.
`----

http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/258-Foresight-KDE-Alpha-Alpha-Pre-Alpha-Pre-Screenshot.html

NEWS: Foresight Linux 2.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, the installation went great, the user experience was great,
| PackageKit is easy to use, the User Guide is a great plus, all GNOMEish apps
| (except GIMP) are included... So, if there is someone who wants a different
| and fresh GNOME based desktop, Foresight is one of the best choices.
`----

http://mklinuxos.blogspot.com/2008/03/news-foresight-linux-20-released.html

$199 Shuttle kPC ditches Ubuntu for Foresight Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14278